I don't believe it!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by magikchick, Mar 28, 2009.

1. magikchick

magikchick ~FEATHERFOOTED DIVA~

Apr 21, 2007
    SW Florida
    I have a little silkie hen that has been sitting a nest sort of. She is on and off it. She keeps moving on to other eggs. The eggs have gotton cold at least 3-4 times. This moring I went out to candle the eggs and see if anything was moving in them. Lo and behold she hatched a chick. I only seen one but I didn't want to distrube her anymore.

So if she can hatch with her bad track record there is hope for us all.[​IMG]

2. BirdBrain

BirdBrain Prefers Frozen Tail Feathers

May 7, 2007
    Alaska
    I agree!! I think we (me included) are far too fussy about having the perfect hatch.

3. basicliving

basicliving Keepin' the sunny side up

Mar 20, 2008
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    Congratulations! I bet you were shocked and thrilled to find that baby chick!

I had a very similar experience with one of my broodies. She kept letting the others chase her off her eggs and then she would end up climbing in another nest and sitting on those. We were having weather in the 20s and I kept finding her on the wrong nest - and the eggs in HER nest were cold. I would put her back on her eggs, but I was certain there was no hope at all for those eggs to ever hatch - but every single one of them did! And the first hatch at day 19! I still can't believe she pulled that off.

Let's see pictures of the new baby!!!!!

Penny

4. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Just another reasn to pen them alone when they set. Not good to give them a choice.......Pop

5. magikchick

Apr 21, 2007
    SW Florida
    Well I had planed to slip some silkie eggs under her that I have in the bator right now. They are due to hatch next week. Looks like I have some more bantam cochins instead.

6. magikchick

Apr 21, 2007
    SW Florida
    She hatched out two and was ready to leave the nest. I took the rest of the eggs out and decided to candle them. Well I picked one up and it peeped at me. So I checked the rest and ended up putting 6 in the hatcher and one that looks like it's about 2 weeks along in the bator. This morning I have one chick out and another egg has pip in it.

7. basicliving

basicliving Keepin' the sunny side up

Mar 20, 2008
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Now where are those pictures?????

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by