1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I don't have a chicken.....yet....but

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by raven880, Nov 22, 2007.

1. raven880

raven880 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 3, 2007
    Central Indiana
    Being a bird lover, I have always wanted to have some chickens but figured it was impossible since I live in a subdivision in the suburbs of a big city. After reading many posts on this forum it hit me.....why couldn't I have the chickens live in my birdroom in the house. I have an entire room that is set up for my pet exotic birds.....macaw, amazon, cockatoo,lovebirds, finches, etc...to fly free in. I also have a pigeon that was rescued several years ago. If the pigeon does well in there, wouldn't a couple of chickens do well, too? I'd like to raise some eggs of my own that I can actually eat! Those tiny finch eggs just don't do it for me. <g>
    Does anyone here have any experience raising their pet chickens inside? HOw long do they generally live? At 60, I"m not wanting any more pets who are going to outlive me by a lot of years. My grandchildren may not want them all!

HOw many chickens would I need to get 4-6 eggs a week? I love the fancy chickens I've seen on here but are they good layers? I probably am more interested in their pet aspect than their being big egg producers.
    Thanks for any info you can give me.

Paula
    IN/USA

2. Kristina

Kristina Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2007
    South Louisiana
    I think that they would do well....Several people on the board have house chickens. If you have a room set up for just you birds I think they would be a great addition. Now to get 4-6 eggs a week you would only need 1 chicken. Production breeds will give you 6-7 a week. The more ornamental breeds would give you at least the 4 per week. I would get at least 2 though because thay are flock animals. Chickens can live a long time with proper care. A member here has one that is 16 years old. That is not the norm but hey you never know. I'm not quite sure the average lifespan of a bird but others on here can tell you. [​IMG]

3. tiffanyh

tiffanyh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2007
    Connecticut
    I would think mess wise you should go with bantams....chicken poop is very different than exotic or finch in my experience.

But the bantams still produce eggs you can eat!! Just as tasty!! And you can get fancy ones too!!

4. Henriettahen

Henriettahen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Canada
    I have had house chickens, they are the absalute best pets out there. I also have many many pets, particulary birds...parrots, wld ones I raised (orphans)

none beat chickens tho..

First of all, your gunna want to get them diapers, otherwise you will be cleaning up after them 24/7

heres the site, its very reasonably priced.

http://www.chickendiapers.com/

Also theres a yahoo group called "house chickens" I'm not sure if I am aloud to link to other sites, but ye, PM me if youd like to be linked to that. One of the members is the maker of chicken diapers....you can get alot of advice on keeping house chickens there.

if you have any questions, feel free to pm me [​IMG] have fun!

5. greenmulberry

greenmulberry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2007
    Iowa
    People do keep chickens as house birds, you can even buy chicken diapers so you can let them walk around the house!

I think if you had two hens you would have 4 -6 eggs week easy. I only say two hens because they are flock animals an like to have their own kind around. Although I hear that when they are house pets that isn't so important.

Bantam chickens are smaller than standard hens. That is not a breed but a "size class". I have seen that many people who have house chickens keep silkies, an ancient breed with fur like feathers.

This chart will show you different breeds of chickens, how prolific egg layers they are, how well they do in confinement, ect.
    http://www.ithaca.edu/staff/jhenderson/chooks/chooks.html
    Most "standard" chickens have a bantam size as well. Typically the fancy breeds are not the best layers, but then again, with two hens that were mediocre layers I think you would have no problem getting 5 eggs a week between them.

6. raven880

raven880 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 3, 2007
    Central Indiana
    You guys are great!
    Thanks for the quick replies....and on a holiday, yet!

re: chicken poop and diapers. That really cracked me up and I can only imagine what it would be like to diaper a chicken! I have my 5 mos old granddaughter 2 days a week....I'm getting good a diapering. <g> I know their droppings are different than the exotics. I have that fancy pigeon I rescued and she is much messier than the parrots.
    Are the online sites safe for purchasing chicks...trustworthy?
    I'd love to let them roam the house but that's not possible. I have 7 dogs and the two Clumber spaniels would eat them in a heart beat. I never have my parrots out in the main part of the house if the dogs are inside.
    I think I"m definitely going to have to find some chickens to love. Are the silkies considered bantams?
    Thanks everyone!
    Paula

7. Kristina

Kristina Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2007
    South Louisiana
    Yes Silkies are considered Bantams...they are some of my faves! Most hatcheries are great. Just look around in the breeder and backyard hatchery section and you can find almost any hatchery in there and read reviews. I know that Meyer and MyPet Chicken all sell in quantities of three but not this time of year.

8. Henriettahen

Henriettahen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Canada
    yes silkies are bantams. Gorgeous ones at that...definatly my fav breed. Very docile!

9. hencackle

hencackle Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Telford, TN
    Here is the link to the housechicken group: http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/housechickens/

I've
    had a house chicken too. She took naps on the dog bed with the dog and shared the same water bowl. Chickens are smarter than most people believe and my chicken understood several phrases and commands. Couldn't get her housebroken, though. [​IMG]

10. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    Good small order websites:

www.meyerhatchery.com (they do a min of 3 chick order) AND are sponsors of this forum...I ordered 8 girls from them earlier this year and they are wonderful chickens and very healthy.

www.mypetchicken.com.

Also, you may be able to find some chickens in need of a new home here either chicks or adults/layers if you will post over in the buy/sell/trade category with your location.

Us BYC'ers are pretty good about feeding each other's chicken addiction, and you might be able to find just what you are looking for from someone else on the group.

Welcome!!

Last edited: Nov 22, 2007

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by