1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I don't have a clue what breed this is

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Jake2006, Mar 8, 2017.

1. Jake2006

Jake2006 New Egg

Mar 8, 2017
    Indiana
    Last spring I bought a few chicks online and started my chicken adventure. I've loved it! This year I decided to save some money and purchase my chicks at Rural King. I've got 9 chicks and I know the breed of all of them but 2. Someone help. What are these beautiful little birds?[​IMG]

2. FoodFreedomNow

FoodFreedomNow Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi and [​IMG] from KY! That cute little gal/fella looks like a guinea keet to me. I know RK sells them, too...I saw them the last time I was in there. If you didn't already know it, guineas are reputed to be tick eaters extraordinaire.

Here's an article you may find useful: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/312682/raising-guinea-fowl-101. Have fun!

3. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    That is not a chicken chick...
    The stripy head is screaming "I'm a guinea fowl keet."

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Well it's cute and I've heard guineas will "mob" a snake and move it away from their territory. That's a good reason to have them right there.

5. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Looks like a Guinea keet to me, too.

6. Jake2006

Jake2006 New Egg

Mar 8, 2017
    Indiana
    Thanks guys! I will have to do some research on guineas now! But if they help keep snakes away they're sounding good already!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by