I don't have chickens yet, but....

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by NatureGloMom, Mar 10, 2015.

1. NatureGloMom

NatureGloMom Out Of The Brooder

Mar 9, 2015
    I am currently raising 14 ducklings. The first six are Pekin, and are about two or three weeks old. The other 8 are mallards, around a week old or less. I'm not completely sure of their ages because I got them from the farm store, and it didn't occur to me to ask how old they were before bringing them home. The Pekins while not particularly fond of being handled, have accepted me as a friend to some extent, but the mallards behave as though I'm a duck murdering demon out to destroy them. I searched advice on how to bond with ducklings, and that is how I found this website. I am sure I will find this online community to be extremely helpful in keeping my sanity when I encounter unexpected challenges raising my new babies. I also plan on raising chickens soon, but I am starting a homestead from the ground up, and want to get used to having one kind of livestock before I add another, so that I don't become overwhelmed.

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    You're right, if you get overwhelmed by too much too soon, you won't enjoy any of it. Take your time, chickens will always be available somewhere. Glad you joined the flock [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. Americano Blue

Americano Blue Mush on!

Apr 14, 2014
    Hello Spring
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

4. campbell5

campbell5 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 9, 2015
    Arkansas
    Welcome! Our ducklings are about a month old (Rouens, Khakis, a Pekin, and a Mallard) and they all act like I'm going to tear them apart when they see me. :)

We are building a homestead from scratch as well. Good luck! The community here is wonderful!

1 person likes this.
  5. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! Great advice there for you from drumstick. Adding slowly to your flock is a great idea so you don't get overwhelmed by it all. I too have had chickens that carry on like your murdering them when being picked up so you are not alone on that front. I had it especially with my white crested black polish, they need to be tame because they need crests checking regular, time and perseverance with them worked well.
    If you have not already drop by the new duck section of the learning centre for some great articles on raising them https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/other-backyard-poultry-ducks-quail-turkeys-geese-etc

Wishing you the very best of luck and hope you enjoy BYC, everyone here to help and very friendly :frow

1 person likes this.
  6. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Good morning and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Nice to have you join us. Have fun with your ducks!

1 person likes this.
  7. ChickyChickens

ChickyChickens Chickening Around

May 24, 2014
    BYC? Epic <3
    My Coop
    [​IMG]Welocme to BYC!!! It is an aweosme forum (the BEST in the world) and has a great comminity!!! Hope you have a great time and learn A LOT!

1 person likes this.
  8. NatureGloMom

Mar 9, 2015
    Thanks everybody! I'm so super glad to be here.

Update on the mallards: I overslept this morning, and they ran out of water. Instead of cowering in a pile when they saw me this morning, the ran toward me and circled their water dish, and stared at me peeping! They have finally learned to associate me with good things! The Pekins did not run out of anything for once, because I just got them a two gallon waterer yesterday, by they also rushed me because they are older and already bonded with me, bored, and know that sometimes I'll let them play in the bathtub. Lol

9. campbell5

campbell5 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 9, 2015
    Arkansas
    Ours have just started to chirp and crane their necks when they see me too! It makes me think we might have a chance at connecting.

My babies love their bath time and are starting to dive for long periods, the mallard even swam under the surface yesterday!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. NatureGloMom

Mar 9, 2015
    I keep trying to put photos up of mine, but it wont work for some reason. I may have to try again later from my laptop, and see if maybe I just can't do it from my phone.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by