I don't have to worry about my chickies scratching up my garden.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by cottagechick, Aug 10, 2011.

1. cottagechick

cottagechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2011
    Cottage Grove, Oregon
    The only places they like to hang out are
    1.My porch - where I get endless amusment watching them scratch plastic, rubber, and wood surfaces...
    2.Under a little trailer we use to haul stuff.
    3.Under the rosebushes.
    The only thing in danger are my potted chamomile plants...they seem to love those and ignore most of the other plants...

No matter how much I try to chase them into the grass...this is where they go.[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 10, 2011
  2. maybejoey

maybejoey got chickenidous?

You could fence in an area where you want them playing.[​IMG]

3. cottagechick

Jul 11, 2011
    Cottage Grove, Oregon
    Quote:Working on that. I thought I had a "secure enough place" until I found them outside of it... I only have two 3/4 month old Bantams at this point, so I am not too worried about it. When I have 6-8 it might be a different story. When I need to I have a large cage that I use as an improvised "tractor." I am off the next couple of days and will work on it then. Just have to spray the poo off the porch every day. I just think it is funny that they don't WANT to be eating all the good stuff in the grass. They just want to hang out by my arcadia door eating potted plants and scratching plastic lids and rubber mats...

4. tarragon

tarragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2011
    Bothell, WA
    Before we put up our moveable fencing for them, my girls loved hanging out on the patio. They'd take naps on the chaise lounge and perch on top of the kitty's bed (she didn't like that). Now we move the fence around the yard every two weeks, trying to keep the grass from disappearing. Once winter comes I told my husband "why don't we just let them have the whole yard for the winter and fence us in?" So, we might move the fence to surround the patio. Reminds me of the saying "the inmates are running the asylum" [​IMG]

Funny that you have to chase them into the grass. Silly chickies.

5. N&MSchroeder

N&MSchroeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2011
    SE Idaho
    Your chicks will be very relaxed if they eat your chamomile - mine love to lay in the lavender bushes. [​IMG]

6. cottagechick

Jul 11, 2011
    Cottage Grove, Oregon
    I just looked out the window and a pair of house shoes was left outside the door. Henny was all fluffed out on top of it. Relaxing and preening herself. While Penny nibbled on some relaxing chamomile beside her. If people don't keep their shoes in they may get a surprise egg in their shoe at some point. I know they will get some not so surprising poo. I took a picture but my camera is being stupid. If it took I will post it.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by