I don't know about this rooster.

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by WthrLady, Jan 1, 2015.

1. WthrLady

WthrLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2014
    WestOak, Nebraska
    It's been two weeks, and my spidey senses are tingling.

He's just not acting like I THINK he should be acting.

We rescued a rooster from people that lived in the city and cannot have roosters. We think they had him, and all the other chickens, living inside, in the mud room, in very small cages. This rooster refuses to go out of the quarantine coop and run I set up for him two weeks ago. He looks fine, his poop looks good, etc.

He won't eat unless you put the bowl inside the coop in front of him. He's hardly touched the pellet feed I've put in his run, I believe they only fed him table scraps. She said they only fed him organic soy feed. (He will eat scrambled eggs heartily)Ugh. He should have blown through his 4 cups of pellets by now. In the morning, he should be blowing out of the coop when I open the pop door, to get to food and water. Instead, he sits in his coop. I have to push him out the pop door and close it behind him to keep him outside. Then he just sits on the ramp or under the coop, waiting to go back in.

When I shoo him out, he will walk around outside in the yard long enough to circle the run twice, but he's looking for an open door to get back in. Not exploring, not pecking at the ground.

He's friendly. You can pick him up without a fight, he wiggles, but doesn't try to rip your head off. That's if you can corner him to grab him.

Crowing..... nope. He crowed once on day #2, and a couple of times on day #3. I haven't heard him since. They said he is 6 months old, By the size of his comb and wattles, I think he's closer to 9 maybe 10 months old. He knows there are hens nearby. When the hens free range, he can see them, but doesn't come out of the coop to strut from quarantine.

So my question is..... do you think I should just dispatch him? my mommy senses says that there is something just Not quite right, and my girls are top priority.

2. WthrLady

Jul 24, 2014
    WestOak, Nebraska
    [​IMG]

Maybe because it's cold out. I mean it's really cold out.. wind-chill of -30, and daytime, lows in the -teens, highs only around 5*F. and he's not used to it.

Maybe he's lonely, depressed.

But after two weeks... get with the routine......

Last edited: Jan 1, 2015
  3. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    You know, you might try adding a possible sacrifice hen.... see if having another chicken around helps.... or see if he has something that could be contagious to your flock.

Personally, I think I might cull him. I don't do a lot of vet work, (well really I don't do any) with my chickens, but I keep them close to home, and I don't add anything I am unsure of..... and this bird I would be unsure of too.

Mrs K

4. WthrLady

Jul 24, 2014
    WestOak, Nebraska
    I locked him out of the coop today. All of his food and water in only in the run.

He perked up and pigged out on scratch and oats when he saw the hens out on the hillside walk about 70 feet away. But as soon as they went inside their run, which he cannot see, he wanted inside his coop. He went in and hasn't been out since.

I don't have a sacrificial hen.

I am down to a flock of three.

5. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Flock Master

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    What is your big concern about him? Health? Social mis-fit? He's a beautiful rose comb brown leghorn. He's not aggressive. He looks healthy. Given your assessment of his prior living conditions, I think his behavior is not unrealistic. If you feel that he's been quarantined long enough, I'd let him meet your girls, see how they interact, realizing that there will be some initial scuffles. They may actually beat the tar out of him. Then make your decision based on that... or you could just cut your losses, and cull him.

6. WthrLady

Jul 24, 2014
    WestOak, Nebraska
    He looks fabulous. I need a rooster who is attentive to his surroundings, not a cave dweller. But maybe that is because he is bored and lonely in quarantine.

But maybe there is an underlying health aspect that is making him not want to eat or drink as much as i think he should be.

That's what makes me worry about my girls.

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    My thought is more he's socially undeveloped and just doesn't know how to interact. But, if you're not comfortable with him, go ahead and dispatch him. If you want an alert rooster, come on over. I've got a grow-out pen full of cockerels overdue to be processed--pretty boys and green/blue egg genes, too [​IMG]

8. WthrLady

Jul 24, 2014
    WestOak, Nebraska
    Lol. The great northwest is a tad far!

But thanks. :)

I'll give him more time.

9. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I'd not assess his behavior as a flock member before he's been with the flock.
    He's still in a 'new' place, he's being careful and feels safest in his coop.
    2 weeks isn't that long to be in a new place. How much longer to go on quarantine?

10. WthrLady

Jul 24, 2014
    WestOak, Nebraska
    People here said to quarantine him a month. So he's got two more weeks.

I honestly don't know how he's alive with as little as he eats and drinks.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by