I don't know how much to charge either? I have Light Brahmas

tbcross

In the Brooder
11 Years
Dec 22, 2008
Muddy Pond
I have some nice light brahmas they came from a breeder in KY. They are free range and lay well, and right now I have 2 roos for 9 hens with 2 in the frat house. So I have high fertility. But I don't know anything about grade? I mean I don't want to ask too much but I put a lot of work into them. What do you guys think? Till now I've only traded for other eggs or swapped to a couple of friends half for incubating for me but right now I could use the money if I could sell some. Let me know what you think?

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/20076_phto0179.jpg

Barb
Oh and I also am thinking of selling 2 of my roos I was thinking of asking 15 for them just to kinda make sure that they don't go to the stew pot or to a cockfighter (both have stopped and wanted them) is that too much? They are pretty tame and good breeders?

Last edited:
those are some beautiful birds! i say charge no less than $1/egg. some charge more but thats 12.00 per dozen and they will move quickly=more money in your pocket. hope this helps!

My first eggs were Light Brahma's off of ebay. (everything else has come from this board). I aim to pay up to 2.00 per egg for hatching eggs. I am also on a very fixed income and want to stay somewhat cheap.
You could always set your shipping an put them on the 48 hour auction thread.....
smile.png

If you wait about a week I am positive you will have at least one bidder.......
hide.gif

Where are you located ? I am looking for a nice roo to keep 2 lovely lt brahma ladies happy.

Beautiful Brahmas!!!

I hope my babies turn out that nice. I had some hatchery hens that are sort of "muddy" looking - But the chicks I just got look nice and clean feathered (patterned only where they are supposed to be).

Wow, I may have to buy some eggs from ya if these turn out to be muddy.

eta - as to your original Q - I would charge no less than a buck an egg, and you could probably get a bit more since the parent stock is so nice looking.

meri

Last edited:
I was just reading your post. I just hatched some chicks from a incubator all of them hatched but 2. I lost 2 chicks out of 20 so that was great hatching. My question is I have a buff orpington roo and 3 barred rocks-hens,9-buff orpington-hens,and 2 americanas hens. My chicks are buff orpington ,barred rocks,and americanas,I thought they would be all buff orpington chicks.lol What would you charge for the eggs that are fertile? & What should I charge for the chicks? I only started out selling fresh farm eggs (LG brown)only and now the phone is ringing and getting e-mails for chicks,never been down this road before, Michigan chicks. Thanks for any help I can get:jumpy

Quote:
I sell mixed barnyard chicks - just make sure folks know they are mixed, so they don't get mad at you if they find out differently.

I sell the mixed babies for cheaper than the pures, of course. The pure Buff Orps you could sell for more, in other words.

I sell Buff Orp babies (got some two week olds right now) for 3 bucks each, but then, I am probably cheaper than most folks. My mixed chicks I sell for 2 bucks each.

Some people just want nice disposition/good layer chickens, and don't care about pure breds - and a lot of times a "mutt" chicken is a great chicken.

For personality, I like my mutts the best, actually, they are the sweetest most docile things. (they are Delaware mixed with Brahma, so that is probably part of it).

Just remember not to undersell yourself, because they all eat the same amount, regardless of if they are purebred or not. Add the time/cost of feed into the equation.

eta - at four weeks the price goes up, of course, and if they stay beyond 6 weeks, it goes up again.

meri

Last edited:
Thanks for the info I think that after my chicks hatch and I refill my bator I will have some eggs for sale. (My chicks are hatching tonight started pipping so by Thurs. or Fri. tentatively)
jumpy.gif

Sorry I didn't include the state I am in TN. I can ship eggs but not chicks or adults just yet. I was asking about the roos since I was thinking of selling them locally. Of course if anyone would like a pretty drive....
fl.gif
I make a mean blackberry cobbler!LOL

Barb

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom