I don't know if i can make it!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by NatureLove11, Dec 10, 2010.

1. NatureLove11

NatureLove11 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 4, 2010
    Waiting for the girls to lay eggs is terrible. I try to think of them as just regular pets and that im not really going to benefit from having them but this wore off quick. However when i went outside a few days ago to them more water because it froze over night one of them squatted for me [​IMG]. So does any one have a guesstimate of when i should expect the first egg or will i get it before christmas? Im becoming very very impatient that im thinking that they should become a nice little chicken dinner. Even though they are only 19 weeks old. oh and they are red and black sexlinks and white leghorns.

2. buckabucka

buckabucka Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2010
    Fairfield, Maine
    My Coop
    I think you will see an egg before Christmas. [​IMG]
    I have some that are just now laying a first egg (at 30 weeks), but both of my leghorns started around 19 weeks. They are workhorses.
    Good luck with them!

3. NatureLove11

Nov 4, 2010
    thanks [​IMG] and are your leghorns affected by cold much ive heard they arent so hardy

4. lsv313

lsv313 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2010
    Everett, WA
    I got my first egg at 25 weeks - and I'm still waiting on my 30 weekers! But after my first one squatted, we got an egg the next day! [​IMG]

5. You are expecting for sure. It has been my experience that within a week of the squatting they begin to lay. Good for you and be looking for that golden egg.

6. RainbowBirds_of_a_Feather

RainbowBirds_of_a_Feather Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2010
    Maui
    Aloha,

Wow! That means your girls are close to laying! I believe that when a happy healthy hen lays early than what is indicated that means that they are very happy & healthy hen means early rewards. So your leghorns will lay the earliest compared to the others. But they can and will surprise you because my gals did and you will like the beautiful rewards that come with each of your chooks. Some may be a little on the late bloomer side. Because some chicks, when bought, are varying in ages so don't get too discouraged if some are slow to start because they will be right with the others if not better!

Keep us posted!!

7. NatureLove11

Nov 4, 2010
    Will do and i cant wait to see these eggs since everyone is saying it will be very soon [​IMG]

8. SparksNV

SparksNV Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Spanish Springs, NV
    Not to rain on your parade but I had girls squatting and it was over a month before I got an egg. Out of my 6 girls, I have 4 (or 5) laying. All were over 30 weeks old before the first egg. The wait was *impossible* but, oh so worth it!

One thing I learned, your hens will lay when it's time to lay, not before.

9. NatureLove11

Nov 4, 2010
    Hmmm maybe just forgetting about them for awhile will haha [​IMG]

10. JustAChickenLittle&More

JustAChickenLittle&More Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2010
    Florida
    Ok fill me in, what is "squatting for me" mean? What does it look like. Thanks !

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by