I Don't Know if My Chicken is Sick or Not

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chicksRcute, Feb 14, 2015.

1. chicksRcute

chicksRcute Out Of The Brooder

Feb 14, 2015
    United States
    This is Carrie. She is a American Red Sex-link. She is about 10 months old. This our first batch of chicks. It is winter. We have five chickens all her age. They are the same breed and are all girls. She is losing her feathers. I don't know if it is some type of disease or she is just
    molting. I would like some help. The picture in the top right is what she looked like before. If you want more pictures just ask. Just tell me were to take them.

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

--chicksRcute

2. chicksRcute

Feb 14, 2015
    United States
    The thing didn't come out how I expected it. The 2nd picture is the on that shows what she used to look like before she started losing feathers.

3. toynutz

toynutz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2014
    Pacific NW
    It looks like she's going thru a mini-molt. A couple months ago one of mine lost all her head, neck and tail feathers plus lots of random feathers... she looked so pathetic! She was about 9 months at the time and the only one to molt. I made sure she had extra protein to help her feathers grow back and she looks great now.

4. chicksRcute

Feb 14, 2015
    United States
    Thanks.

5. chicksRcute

Feb 14, 2015
    United States
    What food did you use that had the protein?

6. newwestchick

newwestchick Chillin' With My Peeps

You can give scrambled egg, meat, meal worms or any other high protein item as a supplement to the regular feed :)

7. chicksRcute

Feb 14, 2015
    United States
    Thanks.[​IMG]

8. Linda Roose

Linda Roose New Egg

Mar 18, 2014
    How do I know if my chicken is sick?? She has lost a lot of weight and her colors are really light and she won't eat or lay eggs..
    Any information would be great :(

9. chicksRcute

Feb 14, 2015
    United States
    I don't know but my chicken Emerald was attacked by a hawk a little while back ad she is skinny and won't eat or drink she has to be force fed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by