I Don't Know If My Eggs Are Fertile??

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by TheLezzyChicks, Mar 11, 2014.

1. TheLezzyChicks

TheLezzyChicks Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2014
    Washington
    I've been collecting eggs for the past week for hatching purposes. I have one rooster but I've never seen him try to do anything with my hens. I'm willing to wait the ten days to see if their fertile in the incubator. But I'd rather save myself some time. I'm planning to start incubating Friday. Is there any way to tell if the eggs are fertile now?? I've candled them but all I've seen is the air sac and the eggs I have have been sitting out at room temperature for the past two days. I don't know if they are dead? Infertile? I'm new at this and desperate to know if my roosters getting the job done behind my back or what? Thank you so much for the responses

2. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    How old is your rooster? You can't tell if an egg is fertile by candling it... unless you have incubated it and then candle and see development. You can check an egg for fertility every time you crack one open for breakfast. A fertile egg yolk will have a round disc shape on it, that looks a bit like a bulls eye. It will be bigger than the corresponding spot on an unfertile egg which will appear more granular. Do a thread search "how can I tell if an egg is fertile?" And you will find some nice pictures.

3. TheLezzyChicks

TheLezzyChicks Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2014
    Washington
    He's about ten months. And thank you for the advice

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by