i dont know were to post so im doing it here

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Johnn, Nov 21, 2011.

1. Johnn

Johnn Overrun With Chickens

Sep 5, 2011
    i have a chance to get 2 hens of my choice in a week, but winter is coming up so its kind of putting me off because when it snows the ehns will be in the sheds becaus the snow is deep here (they can go out if they want to), if they arnt getting food or are getting bullied they can easily be moved to a shed with just them 2 in, so do use think i should get them? they are from a pet shop and are not treat well there is about 10 birds in a 2 metre run

2. I would get them counsdring that ther not treated well and 2 more eggs a day.

3. Johnn

Sep 5, 2011
    well they are only 16 weeks old so i should have really said pullets i got my last hen from there and shes so much happier and her legs have changed colour so has she from getting light

4. ozark_chickies

ozark_chickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2011
    Arkansas
    I would get them, and put them where the other birds can see them, and get used to them before turning them out together. If it doesn't work you have a back up plan, and can treat them better than they are being treated now.

5. ProudNewChickenMommy86

ProudNewChickenMommy86 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2011
    Acworth, Ga
    i know you should def get them if you think they would be happier

6. dadthebaker

dadthebaker Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2011
    Los Angeles Area
    Is this something you want? taking on two extra birds?

I started with 6 and a week later got three more...so total 9... didnt seem like much and told Wife we should get three more...*only* three...lol....

I am a total newbie and did expect the surprise of how big they actually get!... so, I think that for now, 9 is my limit... gonna have to buy a farm and get more...

There should be a warning label attached to all chicks- "Warning, I am extremely addicting" lol

If you can handle two more, I say go for it! but that's just me....an addict. [​IMG]

7. Johnn

Sep 5, 2011
    yes i really want them i just would want them to be misserable coming in the cold

8. slim1986

slim1986 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2011
    Highfill, Arkansas
    I'd go for it! 2 hens won't take up that much more space, and 2 more won't eat that much more feed either, plus you know they are going to a good home and that they will have a good life with you, even if they are a little cold this winter, they will be much better off with the cold than in a cramped little pen I'd think.

9. Johnn

Sep 5, 2011
    im not worried about them taking up space i have a huge feild like huge!, and yeah i guess so but if a predetor came i think i would feel pretty guilty if it got one of them two

10. slim1986

slim1986 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2011
    Highfill, Arkansas
    Yeah that makes sense about the predator thing, I went to the auction earlier this year and bought one little one eye duck, I could tell by the looks of her and the other ducks in her "lot" that they weren't taken care of like I duck should be...... So I bought her and brought her to my grandmas and put her in a little temporary duck pen. But my grandma finally said that I needed to move her to my house (which I hadn't finished her permanent pen at yet) so I brought her to my house and put her at the pond, she made it for 3 days before a coon got her, but I know in my heart that those 3 days on the pond was the best 3 days of her life, as soon as she got in the water she went nuts and went diving and splashing around and just loving life! Anyway, back to the point, even if it is short lived, it is still better than where they are...... Idk, that's just how I feel about it

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by