1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I don't know what else to do!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Hennyhandler, Apr 16, 2011.

1. Hennyhandler

Hennyhandler SilkieJax

Jun 10, 2009
    Cullman
    I have a sick bird. I have recently got him and he has started to cough that sounds wet and gurgly. He will shake his head and he has discharge coming out if his nostrils. I am sure that this is a respiratory infection. I researched it on this forum and started to give electrolytes, probiotics, and antibiotics. I have never had to use antibiotics before so this is new to me and makes me unsure. It has only been a day and I know there will not be improvement this quickly but it seems slightly worse. His crop won't be full when I check but when I give a mash with the stuff in it he will eat it up and he walks around and everything. It is just like he has a repiratory problem. I don't know when to expect an improvement so if I don't see one I know that something else needs to be done.
    I also think of the fact that the electrolytes is JUST to help keep him full of vitamins and such that he might not be getting or is low on. The probiotics to promote good bacteria. The antibiotics seems to be the only thing that is going to take care of the actual problem and not just try to keep up on the bird's low immune system. Is this really what everyone else does to fix the respiratory infection?

This is just about to drive me insane. I hate being unsure. [​IMG]

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Please tell me he is quarantined away from the rest of your flock. [​IMG]

Did he arrive ill or become ill shortly after he arrived? How long has he been with you? What antibiotic are you using?

I have a zero tolerance policy on respiratory illnesses. Several respiratory illnesses can be treated, but render an afflicted bird a carrier for life should the bird survive the initial infection. You need to decide how you are going to proceed from this point forward. If he is with your flock then there is a good chance everyone now has what he has. If he is quarantined then you need to keep the rest of your flock from getting what he has.

We need more info to help you treat him.

3. llaaadyel

llaaadyel Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    Lower NY
    There are a couple of antibiotics that work for respiratory illness if that is in fact what the bird has. If possible you should try getting the bird to a vet. I usually keep terrymycin (sp) around just in case.

I do hope that you have the bird under quarrantine. This is a great reminder to all that new birds should be kept away from the main flock for at least a month before introduction just in case. As the previous poster said, some respiratory illnesses never leave the system and the bird becomes a carrier. If this bird is with the rest of your flock, it is likely that they are already infected.

4. chickengrl

chickengrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Quote:x2 also, the antibiotis may not work if it is one of the viral illnesses. If the bird gets better it will likely be a carrier. Good luck.

5. Hennyhandler

Hennyhandler SilkieJax

Jun 10, 2009
    Cullman
    He became ill shortly after arriving. He had been with me a week, week and a half or so. I am using duramycin.

6. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Tylan 50 is the antibiotic of choice for respiratory ailments. I, myself, would be returning him from wherever he came from. I wouldn't be responsible for dealing with someone else's sick bird.

Please tell me he was quarantined.

7. Hennyhandler

Hennyhandler SilkieJax

Jun 10, 2009
    Cullman
    Would you then recommend getting the Tylan or would the Duramycin work just maybe not as well?
    And unfortunately, no they weren't seperated. They are not in with my other flock, no, but they are closer to them then I would think would be considered quarantined. No one else is exhibiting these signs though not even the other that is housed with him luckily. I know it doesn't mean it won't happen but for right now I am happy about that.

My goodness what I have gotten myself into. Thanks for all the help. I guess I need to wait the ten days and see if this antibiotic is going to clear it up.

8. tammye

tammye Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    NH
    still not to late to separate him to protect the others, you may have to treat the whole flock.

9. chickengrl

chickengrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Yes Tylan is the best drug in this case. Duramycin may not help at all. You will want to isolate the sick bird as best you can. Respiratory infections are very contagious. It is always best to keep new birds completely separated for at least 30 days before adding them. This isn't foolproof though, because a bird can look healthy and still carry a disease. The best practice to prevent bringing in a disease is to buy only day old chicks from reputable NPIP breeders or good NPIP hatcheries. I am really sorry you are having to learn this one the really hard way. You are not the only one. Good luck.

10. Frenchchickens123

Frenchchickens123 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 25, 2010
    Hi, sorry to hear about your sick bird. I too learned the hard way and bought my first chickens without doing research. After a couple of weeks mine had typical mycoplasma symptoms. I used tylan to great effect and have had 2 bouts of it since having them. I know some people would cull but I should point out that they do get immune and the first is always the worst. I currently have some chicks I hatched a few months ago and of course they have got myco too, they also share the same pen as the others who have not been infected again which I assume is because they are now immune (although I'm sure if they got stressed they would soon come down with it again). I only kept my chickens and treated because I do not intend to sell or allow any one of my birds out of the property alive. In your case I would definately separate the sick bird and/or send it back to where you got it. It can be a pain having this reoccuring illness and I hope your flock will be okay. I have heard that the virus can travel up to 3 metres in the air so if your sick bird was less than that the rest of your flock will probably have it. It all depends on how you feel about having this sort of thing in your flock. I know that one day I will replace my flock an will definately get chickens which have been vaccinated against this as it's not nice for the chicken to suffer from it either and will make life much more easy! Hope this helps a bit amd hope your flock will be okay x

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by