1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I don't know what happened :(

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by StevieNacole, Sep 13, 2011.

1. StevieNacole

StevieNacole Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2011
    Guthrie, Oklahoma
    My hen recently hatched three cute healthy babies. They were three days old today, They all seemed very healthy and active earlier today. Well, I went outside to go check on them and I noticed one was missing. So, I looked in the back of the pen and there he was just laying there and at first I thought, he was sleeping but he didnt ever try and run away from me, so, I grabbed him and noticed he was breathing funny. I hurried up and brought him in and gave him some drops of water. he couldnt walk or anything, He kept opening his mouth. I held him for 15 mins. and he ended up dying [​IMG] It was so hard to have him pass away in my hands and I couldnt do anything. I just dont know what caused that to happen, I couldnt see anything wrong with him. Could it of been the heat? I think it got about 100 today.

Do you think I should bring the other two inside, so I can take care of them? or should I just let momma hen do that?
    This is my first time having a hen hatch eggs. Ive always incubated them and took care of them.

He was the little yellow one.
    [​IMG]

2. brandislee

brandislee Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2011
    Southern Minnesota
    I'm no expert, but I've had that happen to a few chicks before, and it just seemed to happen with no reason. Chicks are so delicate and sometimes I think they're born with something wrong that isn't apparent right away.

If I were you I would leave the chicks with the mom- she knows what she's doing, unless you've seen any evidence that she's not taking care of them.

Good luck!

3. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    I'm sorry u had to go through that. With little chicks, sometimes they come out looking just fine, but they fade away because something internally isn't quite right. Also, having a broody hen raise a batch of chicks is the way nature intended, but things can happen....Maybe the chick was stepped on, or like you mentioned, the heat may have been too much for the little one. It really can be any number of things....

Hugs to you, and RIP little chick!

4. MEchickenfarmer33

MEchickenfarmer33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2011
    Maine
    sorry for your loss [​IMG]

5. StevieNacole

Apr 27, 2011
    Guthrie, Oklahoma
    I went outside and found another one laying on his back. I brought him inside and I have him under a light and gave him some water. It isnt looking good. [​IMG] Ive never had this problem before, whenever I incubated them. I hope the last one makes it because this one is doing the same exact thing the first one did. I wish I knew what to do or what is causing this. Could it be something they ate? I seen them eating some adult chicken food and not the chick starter, could that cause problems??? [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

6. StevieNacole

Apr 27, 2011
    Guthrie, Oklahoma
    Well, the chick is still living and im not sure if its a good thing. I think he must have been stepped on. Something is causing him not to be able to stand, all he does is roll around. He can move his legs but I think something is wrong with his back and neck, it seems like he cant control them. I give him drops of water and he pecks at food but I cant tell if hes actually eating it. I dont know what to do. I dont know if its wrong to let him live like this and there is no way I would be able to end it. Its very hard to watch.

Any advise would be appreciated. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by