1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I don't know what her problem is...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by luvinmychickens, Aug 15, 2011.

1. luvinmychickens

luvinmychickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    Ohio
    I have 1 dominique, 1 barred rock, and 2 golden buffs that lived together their whole lives. Just a few days ago I got 2 Ameraucanas. The golden buffs keep pecking at the ameraucanas.

A few days ago, we went outside to check on the chickens and there was black feathers everywhere from one of the ameraucanas.

Also, today one of the GB (lily) was in the nesting box making really loud noises. she laid an egg. I think it was only her 2nd one.

Since she is new to the egg laying, does that have anything to do with her behavior to the new chickens?

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Nope, it's because they are new chickens and the mean girls are showing their dominance. I hope you quarantined the new chickens before introducing them to your flock.

3. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Chickens are very territorial, and so that's pretty typical behavior at first, when you introduce new hens. The established gals will try to make sure the new girls know who was there first, and show 'em who is boss!

It'll be rough for a while, but I'd say things will settle down soon. Very normal behavior for chickens to do that, and the egglaying is not related to their agression to the newbies.

4. luvinmychickens

Jun 15, 2011
    Ohio
    Ok thank:)

5. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    Golden Buff? You mean a Buff Orpington? Cause Buff a color that looks Golden. Or is there a breed I don't know about?

6. luvinmychickens

Jun 15, 2011
    Ohio
    I guess a breed you don't know about:p Its a golden buff:)

7. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    Ok, a golden buff what? Cause both golden and buff are chicken's colors, i.e. Buff Orpington means a buff colored Orpington,etc. Or maybe the ones that sold them called them that? Sorry, was just curious.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2011
  8. luvinmychickens

Jun 15, 2011
    Ohio
    All I know is that it is called a Golden Buff.

9. luvinmychickens

Jun 15, 2011
    Ohio
    Another name for Golden Buff is Golden Sex Link.

10. NotSuperWoman

NotSuperWoman Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2011
    My Humble Manor

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by