I don't know what is going on, please help

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sheeshshe, Nov 27, 2012.

1. sheeshshe

sheeshshe Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2009
    I have 2 coops, one with silkies, one with large fowl.

I took my friends chickens a few weeks back, I know the chickens well and I've observed them over the months and they were healthy so I didn't quarantine them. One of the silkies started with cocci after about a week. I've battled with it myself with the silkies since getting them. The same one kept getting it. Well, I figured the new silkies had to get used to different strains of the cocci because it was a different soil they were on. I treated them and separated them and they are fine. Meanwhile, one of my current silkies started acting funny. She/he was just puffing up and acting lethargic. So I thougth maybe he/she had cocci also and I started just treating them all. He/she felt really light and didn't seem to have a full crop ever. I don't know what the deal was. I thought everything was fine since they were all acting ok until I just went out to get their water to change it and he is dead. :(

Meanwhile, in my LF coop last week one of my dominiques jumped down from the eaves and broke her leg. She's been hopping around. Everyone else is doing great. Until this morning, I just went out there and my other dominique is laying on the floor twitching like. barely moving at all. I have no idea what is going on. I've never had any issues in the 3 1/2 years that I've owned chickens. I didn't think anything was wrong with her, but now that I think back, her comb wasn't bright red, but I just choked that up to her not laying eggs right now or something. I guess she wasn't feeling good.

Is there anything I should/can do? I honestly have no idea what is going on. And I haven't noticed any general symptoms either. She was acting fine, I didn't see her puffing up or anything.

I really just want to cry right now. Melon was my favorite chicken. SHe was SO sweet. She was hatched in March I think.

ETA: the dominique, Melon, when I locked them up last night she was roosting with the others in the eaves. I need to figure out a way to block that off, but haven't had the chance yet.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2012
  2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Cecal coccidiosis is ;normally only in chicks. Intestinal variety can affect adult birds causing thin and weak birds with little interest in feed. I'm not saying that's what it is but could be. Not all coccidiostats work on all strains. Before you do much treating, the best course of action would be to do a fecal test if you have a good avian vet with experience with chickens.
    With all coccidia, keeping bedding dry and feeders full helps.

Just because birds look healthy is not a good reason to avoid quarantining. Whether you do or don't, care for your birds first, wash up and wear different shoes before caring for the new ones.

The twitching is something else, possibly some kind of poisoning.

3. sheeshshe

May 6, 2009
    poisoning? what could it be? they're in the coop/run. what types of things could she have gotten into? Is there any way to save her, could she pull through?

4. sheeshshe

May 6, 2009
    Ok, so I just looked out there and Henrietta, my EE, is standing there all poofed up and her comb is light. what the heck is going on?????

5. sheeshshe

May 6, 2009
    COuld it be bad food? The food is not old and it isn't wet, but it did look different from the previous bag.

However, they've been eating that bag for 2 weeks now/

6. sheeshshe

May 6, 2009
    Ok, I called the feed company, I don't think it is the food.

I'm thinking it is either worms, botulism, or mareks. Should I treat with a wormer as a precaution? they don't have the valbazen, but they have the ivermectin, is that OK?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by