I don't know what kind of chickens these are

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Gypsieladie, Jun 9, 2010.

1. Gypsieladie

Gypsieladie New Egg

Jun 7, 2010
    [​IMG]

I don't know what kind of chickens these are. The lady told me and I really didn't hear her, but she told me they are the same kind even though they are different colors. The darker one started out black with a couple of white spots, now it has a lot more white and some brown. It also acts like a rooster. The lighter one is pretty similar in color as it was as a chick.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2010
  2. MelodyHightower

MelodyHightower Out Of The Brooder

May 15, 2010
    East Texas
    They look like americauna (EE)

3. FiveHens

FiveHens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    I agree. Anything with puffy cheeks and green legs can be called EE; Only some kinds of EEs are americaunas.
    Like a square is always a rectangle but a rectangle isn't always a square...all ameraucanas are EEs but not all EEs are ameraucanas.

If they're laying, you should be able to tell really easily. Most EEs lay green/blue eggs, hence the name Easter Eggers.

4. sred98

sred98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Yes, they are EE and the darker one is a rooster. Without a good head shot, the lighter one looks like a pullet (female).

Pretty birds! Oh, and [​IMG]

Shelly

Last edited: Jun 9, 2010
  5. Sequin

Sequin Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    I agree on the EE. But I am going to guess they are both roosters. For sure the one in the foreground is. Pretty birds!

6. ScaredOfShadows

ScaredOfShadows Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a bunch of hatchery ameracanas (sold as ameracanas not EE's) that look like that, of the 4 that are that exactl color, they are 11 weeks old now, but the one i'm not at all doubting is roo, has gotten the dark head and neck while the other three have much lighter blue/grey heads with some white checkered in, and i'm pretty sure from vent sexing @ 1 day that out of the 10 ameracanas i picked out of the 300 8 looked like pullets and 2 like roos by vent sexing. however i'm questionable in my skill of seeing the little dot in vent sexing. but definately that one in front that one with the dark neck is a roo by what i can see of comb and the the sharp pointed feathering.

7. lizzie159

lizzie159 New Egg

Jun 8, 2010
  8. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    They are both Easter Eggers. She probably called them Ameraucanas or Araucanas, but they are Easter Eggers. If you have a hen (or 2) they will lay colored eggs. It may just be the picture, but they look a little sick. Make sure to keep them quarantined for a 3-4 weeks just to be sure they don't have something and share it with any of your other birds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by