I don't know what this is!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jeslewmazer, Dec 4, 2011.

1. jeslewmazer

jeslewmazer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2009
    Mississippi
    1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.) ---- Speckled Sussex, 1 1/2-2yrs
    old, 7+ lbs have not put her on a scale.

2) What is the behavior, exactly.----- Now just swollen feet and legs, before her jaw was swollen in the same way (like fluid buildup).

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?---- A few months now.

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?---- No

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.------ No

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.-----Don't know of anything. The others she is with
    all appear normal.

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.----- She has been eating and drinking fine. The same all my other chickens.

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.----Normal

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?----Had separated her from the rest on some grass for two weeks. I
    don't want to give her the wrong thing, but did give her Sulmet one time in her water.

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?----I would rather self treat if possible.

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.---will post below

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use----large pen, with cover, on the ground, with a perch for roosting.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Right foot [​IMG]
    Left foot [​IMG]

It does not look like Bumble foot. They feel squishy and are mostly around her "ankles" and "knees". She is pearl legged, and the swollen part look slightly green, like a bruise. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I'm just not sure what this is, so I don't know what to look up. [​IMG]

2. kari_dawn

kari_dawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    do her feet have heat to them?

3. jeslewmazer

Nov 24, 2009
    Mississippi
    I would not say much more than normal, but I will have to check tomorrow to be 100% positive. Seeing how she is sleeping on them right now.

4. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    I would want to say bumblefoot but that would not cause her jaw to swell. Is her comb a blueish color? Congestive heart failure maybe? [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 4, 2011
  5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    the red spotted area on her right foot makes me think of some kind of insect bite. Poor girl, is she able to walk around or does it bother her alot?

6. kari_dawn

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    ...you could always give her a foot masage and see if that helps move the fluid out of her legs? [​IMG]

7. jeslewmazer

Nov 24, 2009
    Mississippi
    Quote:No blueish color. She is not laying right now, which I don't blame her, so her comb is small an pink instead of red.

8. jeslewmazer

Nov 24, 2009
    Mississippi
    Quote:She can walk pretty good, but sometimes she does kinda hobble. But she overall seems fine. Dust bathing among other activities.

9. jeslewmazer

Nov 24, 2009
    Mississippi
    Quote:I will probably have to try that, but I did wash her feet for the picture. She didn't know what to think about that. [​IMG]

10. kari_dawn

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    her right foot looks like it has an old cut on the toe...maybe staphylococcosis ?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by