I don't know what this means

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Clay In Iowa, Feb 26, 2009.

1. Clay In Iowa

Clay In Iowa Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Near Wilton Iowa
    I've had 2 pips die. They pipped on time and seemed to be doing OK. But in both cases a little liquid (albumin?) and possibly yolk oozed out of the egg. Both chicks died with their beaks in the pip. And the liquid dried around the pip and set up like glue. I'm not sure what occurred first. Death or the albumin setting up.

I did a post-mortum on both. In both cases the air cell membrane was unbroken above the chick. All the eggs in this batch had air cell problems from shipping. I'm guessing that has a lot to do with it but don't kw for sure.

After candling on day 18 I was worried about them having trouble with the because of the air cells. So I'm running at about 85% humidity to prevent the membrane drying out. The air cells were larger than expected and had irregular margins. Did I screw up?

Man I hate loosing them this late in the game.

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    High humidty can make the eggs dry out faster than they need be. I know it seems odd but it is humidity that helps the air cells grow.

What was your humidity during the first 18 days?

70% is the best average for day 18 - hatch day.

3. Clay In Iowa

Oct 9, 2008
    Near Wilton Iowa
    I ran it around 65%.

So basically I am screwing ti up. [​IMG]

4. MissPrissy

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Your humidity is too high.

The humidity I use is 40 - 45% day 1 - 18.

You should read some of the things in the learning center on hatching. A good place to start is the dry hatch method that is in the learning center pages.

I would say your #1 issue and cause of problems is your humidity at 65% - it can also cause lots of deformities in chicks that do hatch and then you have the ugly job of culling them. [​IMG]

5. Clay In Iowa

Oct 9, 2008
    Near Wilton Iowa
    Ah Crap!!!!

I read on here that a higher humidity was better if the air cells were broken. Should have asked .... crap crap crap!!!

Thanks MP

6. L*A*G*

L*A*G* Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    planet chicken
    uh oh! my humidity is 60% right now! [​IMG]

7. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    My last hatch I had 5 wacky air cells, kept the humidity at the lower end of 40 to 50% from day 1 thru 18. Last 3 days of incubation I raised it to the 60 to 70% range. I had a 100% hatch on 18 shipped eggs. Nice clean hatches when I use these ranges.

8. MissPrissy

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Quote:And that is how it's done, folks.

Listen to the voice of experience.

TOH has more hatching years under her belt than I do. [​IMG]

9. Clay In Iowa

Oct 9, 2008
    Near Wilton Iowa
    Like I said ............

Should have asked first.... no one to blame but me [​IMG]

10. pasofinofarm

pasofinofarm NONESUCH FARM CONROE TX

Mar 22, 2007
    Near Houston, TX
    When I began using dry hatch my rate in a foam incubator went from about 75% (homegrown eggs, no shipping issues) to 95%+. Also I noticed a much better rate on shippeds with disrupted air cells...although the rate is still dismal it was improved.

Sorry Clay but there is still time for you to adjust before your next hatch.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by