I don't know what to charge for my Muscovy's - Suggestions please

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by remadl700, Nov 8, 2010.

1. remadl700

remadl700 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2009
    oregon
    I have several buyers but I don't know what a fair price for live ducks would be or what to charge for processing them.

Any input from the field would be great.

thank you.

2. bel

bel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2010
    East bay
    Prices I see on CL here are $10-$15 for adult females and $20-$25 for adult males. $3-$5 for unsexed ducklings. Probably varies by location, and who knows if they were actally selling any.

3. remadl700

remadl700 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2009
    oregon
    Quote:Thanks!

4. peterlund

peterlund Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2010
    MA Cranberry Country
    As for processing, I just had a few of my Muscovies processed and they cost 10 dollars each for kill, pluck and gutting. The shop did an excellent job and I had the first bird tonight for dinner. So delicious.

5. foxhomechickens

foxhomechickens Out Of The Brooder

Sep 19, 2010
  6. Caprice_Acres

Caprice_Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    Michigan
    My adult birds go for 15.00 each or so, if I'm not butchering them (as breeders). They go for ROUGHLY 3.00 per lb dressed.

7. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    One of my clients recently asked for guidance on pricing his book, and my partner very helpfully told him to price it low enough to sell and high enough to make money. Fortunately, the customer appreciates our fine sense of humor.

However unhelpful it may be, the advice is actually quite good. No one can tell you what to charge because every market is different. But in general, I would say the $15 to $25 range is probably a good starting place. You'll learn as you go what the market will bear.

Around here, hens are worth far more than drakes, unless the drake has really exceptional qualities AND the market knows it. I sell ordinary non-special hens for $15 and drakes for $5 or free, depending on the drake & the situation. These are Runners, not muscovies.

For the higher quality birds I will be raising next year (I infused my stock with Holderread), I will expect $20+ for grown hens, and I wouldn't part with my best Holderread hen for $100. Time of year matters too--everyone is downsizing in the fall and early winter, and it's hard to find buyers. My friend can't find buyers for his hens at $5 a piece right now. But come spring, they'll sell like hot cakes at $15 each and he could probably get $20 or more each.

So the bottom line is, put them out there with a price tag that makes sense to you. If people are scrambling over themselves to buy from you, raise the price for the next batch. If nobody's contacting you, lower it. You'll hit the sweet spot eventually. Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by