I don't know what to Do!!! Help!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by TheRedStarGirl, Mar 25, 2013.

1. TheRedStarGirl

TheRedStarGirl Out Of The Brooder

Feb 26, 2013
    I have a Hova-bator.[​IMG]
    My Lockdown is scheduled for today but my hydrometer hasn't arived yet!!!! Do I lockdown or wait!?!!?! How do I know how much water to put in? I have a styrofoam still air incubator. Like half a cup of water?? Someone told me a wet sponge would do, is this true?

Last edited: Mar 25, 2013
  2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    You’ve gone through 18 days of incubating without one and not knowing what is going on in the incubator. You can go another few days, but yes, I really like to have a clue what is going on.

I have no idea which make and model incubator you have. You should have gotten some instructions with it on what to do or you might be able to go online and find the instructions. If you can find the instructions, do what they say.

Or maybe you could post your make and model of incubator and someone with that make and model can help you. I suggest you edit your first post in this thread to include make and model in your title to attract the attention of people that have that make and model.

Good luck. This sounds like your first attempt. You may do fine but if not, you will almost certainly do better next time. It’s sometimes amazing how well we do even when we do things wrong. I really do wish you luck.

3. Bill 101

Bill 101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2013
    Oregon
    In the picture, is that an egg right behind the plug ? It appears up-side-down. Point end up, should be point end down.

Maybe the view is looking down, so never mind

Last edited: Mar 25, 2013
  4. minihorse927

minihorse927 Whipper snapper Premium Member

Nov 3, 2010
    I have the styrofoam LG incubators. in those when I am in lockdown I put water in all the trays and I add a wet sponge also but my house is really dry as far as humidity goes.

5. 3 NH reds

3 NH reds Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2011
    Western Mass
    My 1588 Hova has two channels in the bottom you fill #1 for the 1st 18 and both for lock down. If its day 18 add the water so the humidity is u. You wont know how high but it should work just fine.

6. jimlas

jimlas Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2011
    I am in the middle of hatching baby ducks right now. The most important thing is don't panick. All that said, this has to be the exciting thing in the world to experience and the most tense time as well.
    There is no guarentee that the hydrometer you order will be exact anyway so the biggest issue is, are your eggs ready for lockdown. If they are ready today, I would wait until you candle them tonight or if you already did this morning, did you see that the aircell was nice and big, maybe a third of the egg, and all signs of fluid just about gone, better all the way gone?
    If so, fill up the trays in the bottom and if you are able to lay a piece of paper towel, under the screen and over the whole bottom on top of water trays . This will soak up water and displace it in a larger area for evaporation. I fold a couple of pieces together just to give it strength. This should bring your humidity right up there good. remember, don't open the incubator once the chicks start to externally pip. If you get your hydrometer before that just stick it in quickly.
    I hope you have a great time watching such a beautiful act of God's greatness :eek:)

7. TheRedStarGirl

Feb 26, 2013
    The hydrometer came today!! Thank goodness!! Humidity is at 64% is that ok?

8. jimlas

jimlas Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2011
    Could be a little higher for lockdown.70-75 It might take a little bit of time for it to read it as well

9. 3 NH reds

3 NH reds Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2011
    Western Mass
    I had 9 of 12 hatch at 65% humidity , that is with both trays filled. I had them hatch up to three days apart the last one was today at day 24 . I will give the eggs 2 more days just to see.

10. TheRedStarGirl

Feb 26, 2013
    Omg I did it!!!!!!!! I have a baby!!! I thought I killed them and I was gonna throw them away so I left the door open but I got distracted all day and it was left open. I was just putting my hair in curlers and my Fiancé went to close the door and noticed my cat staring at the bator. He went in to get her out and then he heard it...Cheep Cheep Cheep!!!! He yelled "oh my god you have to see this" and low and behold a chick!!!! There are two more pips and another that looks upside down. What do I do about the upside down one???

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by