I don't know what to do....Please I really need help!!!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ysant, Jul 25, 2011.

1. ysant

ysant New Egg

Jul 25, 2011
    An older couple friend of hrs saw a duckling in need of some attention and brought it to me. I know nothing of duck NOTHING I just have dogs and birds! The duck looks like it has a dizzy spell all the time and falls backwords also it looked like his eyes are watery so it gets dirty all around his eyes pretty quickly after a clean swipe 5 min later ther are wet again:(. I have him a a parrot cage with a big bowl of water so it can swimm but it doesn't he tries to walk but falls either forward but mostly backwards latest thing I see it do is jump I guess he figured out like that he can get somewhere without falling he jiggles his head like if he trimbeling. Please help!!!!! I have had it for like 3 days I was feeding it some bread but I will be going to the pet store just don't know what to buy maybe they will help me there. Poor baby!

2. Daisy668

Daisy668 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2011
    You will be able to get bags of duck food from farm shops and maybe pet shops.
    Do you know how old the duckling is?
    Daisy. xx

3. Blue_Myst

Blue_Myst Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2009
    I'm afraid I don't know too much about ducks, but in chickens such symptoms would point to either vitamin deficiency or a neurological problem. How are his legs? Does he sit with his legs out at strange angles? If not, it probably couldn't hurt to give him some vitamins. A lot of BYC'ers like using the supplement "Poly Vi Sol" (without iron) for chicks with nutritional deficiencies. I see no reason why ducks shouldn't be able to have it.

As for feed, I checked the Purina website and "Flock Raiser SunFresh Recipe" is supposed to be good for growing ducks. You should be able just to buy a 5 or 10 LB bag at your local Agway or Tractor Supply.

Please keep us updated on the little guy! Good luck!

4. LostGosling

LostGosling Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2011
    Go to your local TSC or Rural King and buy it a little, yellow sack of DuMor Starter/Grower with the duckling and chick siloets on the front. It has all the vitamins in it that the little guy will need. He also needs a heat lamp and bulb, which can both be puchased at the places mentioned above. His eyes are watering probably because he's cold. He may need something better than a bird cage to reside in as well. TSC or Rural King have rubber stock waterers that work great with ducklings. Hope I helped and make sure you update! [​IMG]

5. ysant

ysant New Egg

Jul 25, 2011
    I felt a little over my head and I took him to a place they take in all sorts of wild animals they told me I was able to call today to get status they taught it looked like neurological I have called left 2 messages and no answer I think ill drive over tomorrow if I cant get ahold of someone by tommorrow I am really worried :O(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by