I dont know what to do:(

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by redhotchick, Nov 14, 2011.

1. redhotchick

redhotchick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2011
    Fort Worth
    My phoenix hen Clementine is still not doing well. I posted awhile back about her eye and side of her head being swollen, her eye had gunk on it and is swollen shut,and that side of her head is real swollen. I have cleaned it and put neosporin on it and it hasnt gotten any better. She was acting fine but now she stays in her box most of the time . She will come out and drink and does not eat and goes right back in. She use to make all kinds of noises but now its like she lost her voice. I see her trying to cluck and nothing comes out. Any suggestions. Should I take her to the vet? I heard that there isnt much a vet will do for a chicken.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2011
  2. Katydid2011

Katydid2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    West Coast USA
    I wish I had some advice to offer about your hen. It sounds to me like you might lose her if you don't get her to an avian vet. Best of luck to you!

3. chickengrandma

chickengrandma Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2009
    Wisconsin
    What about a "generic" antibiotic in her water? I don't think it would hurt anything at this point?!

4. Chic-n-farmer

Chic-n-farmer Showers of Blessings

I used injectible Tylan years back for a turkey that had symptoms like those. I can't rememner all the details, but you might search for Tylan and see what info is here on it.
    [​IMG]

5. urbanfarmqueen

urbanfarmqueen Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2010
    Los Angeles
    We used some fish antibiotics from the pet store to nurse a pullet back from a potential open wound infection. Just follow instructions on packet, mix in drinking water for that chicken only. Try 5-7 days of treatment. Keep wound clean and dry.

6. redhotchick

May 22, 2011
    Fort Worth
    TODAY SUCKED!!!!!!!!!!!!! I couldnt watch her like that anymore.I had to put her down. She was just in too bad of shape. She was a pet,not an eatin chicken.Now my Pheonix Rooster is mad & wanting to know where she is.

7. redhotchick

May 22, 2011
    Fort Worth
    Here is another question.I bought her from a reputable breeder & she was not cheap.I am not sure if this started here or came with her.Any thoughts? I got her from a real nice lady & will still buy more from her. If she says she will replace her,I will take it,but Im not sure I should expect it?????? There are pics under my other thread titled My clemintine aint fine

Last edited: Nov 14, 2011
  8. Ksane

Ksane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 21, 2011
    Oklahoma
    Definitely get the next one to a vet right away. She needed antibiotics.
    The incubation is usually 3-7 days. If you had her longer than that when she got sick then she got it at your place.

9. redhotchick

May 22, 2011
    Fort Worth
    I was kinda thinking that myself Ksane!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by