1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I don't know whats attacking my hens!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Annasunshinee, Feb 6, 2012.

1. Annasunshinee

Annasunshinee New Egg

Feb 6, 2012
    Oklahoma
    I recently moved out to the country with my mother (Im only sixteen) And Ive had backyard chickens or Urban chickens in the suburbs with me since I was 5.. But Im now experiencing the painful truth of raising chickens in the country, I started with 30 Chicks and I kept them inside to keep them safe until they got a bit bigger&stronger.. I made a large pin outside, dug the fence down into the dirt about a foot, and it was 5 feet high.. the coop is kinda like a tree house, because I built it around a large tree for if they needed to climb up high and escape something they could. My Grandma from Germany told me to get old cans to put around the circumfrence of the fence to keep eagles and owls out.. but something is getting into the cage and killing my hens!! The first attack was By dogs.. I know because I had to chase them away.. they got 15 of my chickens and just chewed them up.. it was terrible.. So i beefed up security and but chain around the existing fence then hooked it into the ground with tent stakes and made the coop stronger.. but now something is getting into the coop without digging or chewing through things. I dont know whats attacking them! But now Im down to 3 hens!! It took 1 or 2 every other night and I never find tracks or feathers.. what could it be?! I know its not my cat because she loves the chickens and is too old to jump over the now 6 foot high fence.. D: What could it be?

2. cupman

cupman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    Portland, OR
    I'd guess raccoons. They are really good climbers and they seem to only take one at a time in my experience. A live animal trap might not be a bad idea. You could also look into getting hotwire to run around the perimeter.

3. Annasunshinee

Annasunshinee New Egg

Feb 6, 2012
    Oklahoma
    Thank you so much, Where would I get Hot Wire? Do you think it might be foxes?

4. cupman

cupman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    Portland, OR
    I don't have too many foxes in my area so maybe someone can tell you whether they are capable of climbing a fence or not. I would have guessed them to try and dig under first. Hot wire can be found at many places, I think maybe even Home Depot or Lowe's has it. Maybe ask around. I think it costs around 80-100 bucks though.

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    It might be coons, bobcats, fox, coyote - most likely not hawks or owls if they are being carried away with few feathers left behind. A 'hot wire' will deter mammals, but you will need a top on your pen to keep out hawks and owls. Sorry that you are having to deal with this.

6. Nitrous

Nitrous Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2011
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    I bought a game camera, to find out what was killing my hens. Unfortunately, the last hen was taken before the camera arrived. :(

7. darin367

darin367 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2010
    Shelton, Wa.
    you say you built the coop around the tree.......... i'd say a coon is using the tree as a free way in n out.... coons will find a way in, good luck...

8. lesgo54

lesgo54 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2012
    spencer, tn
    i also think its a coon. u need a top on the runner and COMPLETELY seal the coop off around the tree and any other openings a critter can get in

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by