I don't know what's going on anymore...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ChandlerDoe, Feb 26, 2014.

1. ChandlerDoe

ChandlerDoe Out Of The Brooder

Feb 23, 2014
    So, I was worried that the air sac in my duck egg wasn't big enough approaching the 28th day, he had not internally pipped yet, so I made an external pip myself to ease my worrying. It is now the 29th day, through the inner membrane I can still see LOTS of veins and they're still a burgundy red, I can still see a fairly large yolk sac, and STILL he hasn't pipped... His blood isn't becoming deoxygenated either and I'm just not seeing ANY progress even though he's CONSTANTLY moving... What's going on? Why won't he absorb his veins and yolk and why isn't his blood deoxygenated yet? Is it going to happen very fast and suddenly? He's a day past due for a duck and he doesn't even look close despite him being healthy and active... This is very frustrating!

2. nuttinfancy

nuttinfancy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2013
    Ambrose, GA
    Patience! [​IMG] I know, easier said than done. It is hard not to worry but I think you need to find something to occupy your time and let nature take it's course. Try not to pick him up nor remove him from the 'bator. I have been a nervous wreck while hatching and I found it was best to clean the whole house before the chicks came. It helped time pass without going to the bator to peek.

I commend you for putting the hole in there, I wouldn't have the nerve to do it, but it could have slowed things down for him and he needs to remain at a constant temp and humidity to progress.
    Hopefully he will surprise you and make that pip soon! Keeping my FX for you to be holding your lil duckie soon!

3. nuttinfancy

Aug 8, 2013
    Ambrose, GA
    How are you and duckie today?

4. ChandlerDoe

ChandlerDoe Out Of The Brooder

Feb 23, 2014
    Exactly the same:/ Day 30 and nothing has changed. Nothing. The veins have not receded at all, the yolk is the same, and the veins are the same red color. Although, he's STILL moving. There is a small tear in the inner membrane, so our assumption is the oxygen coming in from that tear is sustaining his oxygen levels so he's not progressing, especially because we can SEE small air bubbles below the surface of the inner membrane. Because of this, I have no idea what to do. I can't get him out because his veins are not receded or the yolk, and there's no way for me to seal the hole in the inner membrane... So, we've just come to accept the fact that he's a living egg now... Our only hope is that he'll get big enough to wear the oxygen from the hole will not sustain him, but I doubt that'll happen before he's crushed to death..

5. nuttinfancy

Aug 8, 2013
    Ambrose, GA
    Keeping my FX that all goes well with him and he makes a grand entrance for you soon. Please let me know how things go. Hoping to check back and see a pic of him out of that egg!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by