I don't know what's happening

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ih66series, May 16, 2011.

1. ih66series

ih66series Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2011
    Altoona, PA
    OK, I was in the coop one night when one of my White Rocks pecked a Rhode Island Red right in the eye. I looked at it and noticed puss running from it. It was worse the next day and was swelled shut. Then the other eye got infected and puss started running from it. She started sniffeling, wheezing and sneezing. I gave her some antibiotics and she is improving. So I think OK, I'm done with that. Now one of my Ameracaunas started with the same thing. I don't know if this has anything to do with the pecking or not. What diseases do this? Was the pecking a coincidence? I need advice

2. tammye

tammye Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    NH
    does not sound like it was an infected wound. I bet you have a respiratory thing running through your flock. look up respiratory disease in the search, lots of info here. Isolate the sick hens from the others or all your hens will be sick if they are not already, you may have to give the antibiotics to the group

3. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    While I doubt it was the peck too, though stress believe it or not is the #1 killer of chickens. It weakens the immune system and this may be what happened. Always quarantine a sick or injured bird, no matter how minor things look. If it's only two move them out to prevent things from spreading.

Hope all goes well,

Rancher

4. ih66series

ih66series Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2011
    Altoona, PA
    I need more input please!! It is continuing to spread!!

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    If it's spreading, you're dealing with chronic respiratory disease (CRD.) Most likely it's MG or MS. Here's a link you can go to, scroll down and read up on MG/MS.
    http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by