I don't know whats wrong with my chicken?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Smil3s17, Jun 27, 2016.

1. Smil3s17

Smil3s17 New Egg

May 29, 2016
    Ontario, canada
    Hi to all! I'll jump right in. My RIR hen is not laying eggs. She was doing well right up too about 2 weeks ago. I also don't think she's eating. I've check her vent for egg bound, worms all that. I've tried to see if she went broody but that's not the case either. But to day I did notice a snotty nose.. now I've been reading about respiratory disease and the only psychical symptom she has is the runny nose. She makes no noises or weird breathing so I don't know what to think of that. She also has half a beak... when I picked her up I was assured that it would grow back but it hasn't and I think it's effecting her. I also live in Ontario which we've been having a heat wave so bad that today that with our humidity it reached 41 degrees Celsius. Any help and tips will be aporeciated! Thanks to everyone! =)

2. Poultry parent

Poultry parent Chillin' With My Peeps

with high heat chickens will stop laying especially if they are without water. provide lots of water, shade, and fruit! post a picture of her beak please

3. Smil3s17

Smil3s17 New Egg

May 29, 2016
    Ontario, canada
    This is the best picture I could get of her,[​IMG]

4. Poultry parent

her beak was cut. the bottom one may grow back but the top is unlikely too. they cut the beak to prevent the chicks pecking each. i don't support it, as i had a hen who had a cut beak when i got her and the lower beak split and twisted slightly, i don't know how she would've done long term as a predator got her.

5. CluckerCottage

CluckerCottage Chillin' With My Peeps

I have an ex-battery hen that was debeaked-- it's cruel and the beaks don't grow back. My girl looks exactly like that. Sad.
    My girl is 5 and a half years old now and I love her. She can't preen as well as her flockmates so I pay special attention to keeping her clean.
    She will always have a home with us. She doesn't lay anymore but that's ok-- she keeps the wild and crazy young ones in line[​IMG]
    She's the coolest hen I have ever known. What a trooper she is!

6. Poultry parent

sometimes debeaked hens have trouble eating.
    how do you think it's been affecting her?

7. Smil3s17

Smil3s17 New Egg

May 29, 2016
    Ontario, canada
    Honestly she's been fine eating or so we thought right up till recent so maybe it's not her problem? The weather has cooled off and she's still not laying... sigh it's frustrating it's been a good few days of good weather I thought she would have laid by now. My other RIR has started laying again... is it possible I'm giving them too much to eat? They have feed in there coop and are also limited "free-range" they have access to food 24/7 should I limit there feed supply since they also get to pick when there of there inclosure? I'm really frustrated so I appreciate everyone's input =)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by