1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

I don't know what's wrong. :(

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by parkerpeeps, Mar 9, 2016.

1. parkerpeeps

parkerpeeps In the Brooder

Mar 9, 2016
    Yesterday we had 6 chicks. This is our second batch. We have 5 hens from 2 years ago. Last night we lost a seemingly healthy chick. She was fine at 3pm. Dead by 7pm. The rest were active and acting normal. Today I checked on them at 730am, my husband checked at 11am and I checked again at 330pm. Again, all seemed normal. They're all about a week old. We got home at 6pm and the silver laced is barely breathing and mostly unresponsive. I tried giving her some water and raw egg and I can't even get her to open her beak. We've got her wrapped in a warm towel and snuggling her. Is she lost too? What else can I try? The dead one Last night was a Buff Orpington.

2. parkerpeeps

Mar 9, 2016
    Maybe some good news... She seems to be trying to chirp and I was able to give her some yolk. She ate it at least.

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Free Ranging Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Do you have any SaveAChick electrolytes with vitamins? That would be good to get her to take with a dropper or by dipping her beak. Until you get some, you can add 1 tsp of sugar and a pinch of salt to a quart of water, or use some pedialyte or Gatorade warmed. Hope you can save her.

4. MotherhenXOXO

MotherhenXOXO Songster

Feb 27, 2016
    I'm probably not gonna be much help, but do you have them under a heat lamp? Also, when you try giving the baby water just put little drops on top of the beak that may help with the water.

5. parkerpeeps

Mar 9, 2016

I don't. I will try and get some tomorrow.

6. parkerpeeps

Mar 9, 2016

Yes they are under a heat lamp. We have them inside the house tonight as well. It's supposed to be a little colder than it was.

7. parkerpeeps

Mar 9, 2016
    She's gone. :( I feel so bad. I've never had a chick die and now 2 in 24 hours.

8. parkerpeeps

Mar 9, 2016

Last edited: Mar 9, 2016
  9. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Free Ranging Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Sorry for your loss. Hopefully the others will make it.

10. MotherhenXOXO

MotherhenXOXO Songster

Feb 27, 2016
    I am so sorry you lost your baby. Loss is extremely hard. I wish you luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by