i dont know where to post this but / free rangeing????

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by pefferlawchicken, Apr 19, 2009.

1. pefferlawchicken

pefferlawchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2009
    ontario, canada
    ok i may get more chickens along the line but we have white wyandottes , d'anvers and buckeye and we have alot of proporty and i was wondering how i free range , i dont whant them running away or going on the road???? how do i do this...

2. nzpouter

nzpouter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    fence... how big is the property?

3. pefferlawchicken

pefferlawchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2009
    ontario, canada
    its 4 acres and no fence

4. nzpouter

nzpouter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    well, you better start fencing... no way they're staying in your property only...

5. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Free ranging is easy. They won`t go far and with "a lot of property" you shouldn`t have a problem. They will return to the roost they are used to each night and generally know where home is. Your biggest concern should be security as, along with lot`s of property, comes lots of predators. Good luck.....Pop

6. new-roo

new-roo Scrambled

Oct 19, 2007
    Quote:I would dissagree, how far from the road are you is more important than amount of property, I also have 4 acres but my lot is rectangular, and house and coop sit all the way to rear of lot, 1000+ feet off the road, and have never had a chicken try to cross the road [​IMG] (sorry had to say it).
    I have not fence, mine go out in the morning, most dont go more than couple hundred feet from the coop. How far are you from the neighbours? and are they gonna get upset with your chickens coming to visit?

7. cowman910

cowman910 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    Suffolk County,NY
    chickens dont like to travel far away from their coop because they dont feel safe if they are away from it. if they see a hawk, dog,cat,etc. they will run to the coop to hide. and if you live on a busy road they will generally STAY AWAY their not stupid

8. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

I would be most worried about visiting dogs.

Even ones that are normally kept in responsibly do occasionally escape.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by