I don't know where to put..I'm so upset.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kaybats, Nov 7, 2011.

1. kaybats

kaybats Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    One of them is a murderess. And I know who it is. She killed my silver laced Wyandotte baby 9 weeks old. I knew they were mean, but they seemed all fine when let out to free range. And now she is dead!!!!!![​IMG] [​IMG]

2. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    I'm sorry. I often forget how brutal chickens can be due to their instincts. Poor chicky.

3. kaybats

Jun 4, 2011
    I got two hens a couple of months ago, and they were MEAN from the get go. I thought, just like every crummy relationship I have had, that I could 'change' that. Uh. NO. I've been craving chicken since March. She is about a year old....is she still edible?

4. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Yes, you can still eat her if you wish, but you'd want to slow cook the meat so it's not tough.

I'm sorry for your loss. Was the baby with a broody? 9 weeks is pretty young to go up against adult hens.

5. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
  6. kaybats

Jun 4, 2011
    Quote:Oh my goodness. How horrible for me to say that. I'm so sorry. I am SO sad and upset.

7. bakerjw

bakerjw Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    Johnson City, Tn
    Sometimes mean hens can be put in solitary to allow flock dynamics to reestablish themselves. When returned they have to reestablish themselves and it' snot always at the top.

But mean hens are like mean roosters. There are many nice ones out there that can take their place.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by