I don't know why my pullet died? ( teenage chick )

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by breannanaramore, Jun 10, 2016.

1. breannanaramore

breannanaramore New Egg

Jun 10, 2016
    my husband found our chick dead in its bed this morning. He said there was a little blood on the ramp and that the chick was really wet and nasty looking. We have two other hens along with the chicks two other siblings, but they have all been getting along fine. So I have no clue what happened. There was no torn entry into the coop. So I am wondering if a snake tried to get it but the chick was too big to swallow it or either one of the hens killed it. What do yall think?

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Sometimes chickens die for no apparent reason, they can be any age and they show no signs of being ill. They are often found trampled or even pecked, as chickens will often peck at dead companions and sometimes begin to cannibalize them. You will probably never know why it died. I would suggest spending some time quietly observing them to see if the young ones are being harassed. How large is your coop? Can the chicks get away from the older ones? Just a few things to consider. You just may never know what happened to it unfortunately.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by