I Don't Know....

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by cherrychicken, Apr 8, 2009.

1. cherrychicken

cherrychicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2008
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    Hey guys, so I have a problem: I'm not sure if I should get chicks or not. I currently have 6, laying, beautiful, great hens. The store said that the sexing accuracy for Bantams was 50/50 (so we passed on the minis) but the Standards was 75%. That was last year, and it was a miracle we got no roosters. We dont want roosters because of how poorly they treat the hens, and because of neighbors. I am feeling hesitant to get my 3 more, but then again.....
    Im just lost, any input would be great,
    thanks alot,
    jenny

2. Lucky Ducky

Lucky Ducky Chillin' With My Peeps

From one New Mexican to another : Get MORE chickens!!!!! [​IMG][​IMG]:jumpy

3. chicklips

chicklips Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2009
    St. Johns, MI
    I think this is a bad place to ask a question like that. Everyone right now has chick fever and they will tell you to get the chicks. If you really want some get some, if a rooster happens to show up find another home for him.

4. addicted2chicks

addicted2chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2009
    Michigan
    Get something that is color sex linked, that way you know for sure. Or look for a hen on craigs list or your paper.

5. melissastraka

melissastraka Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    Hoquiam, WA
    I agree to look on craigslist for a hen if you arent picky about breed. Also remember that with it being easter a lot of people buy chicks for their children and grandchildren and then want to get rid of them. There should be some good postings on there come next week. Otherwise, you can always make a roo dinner...good luck!

6. cherrychicken

cherrychicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2008
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    Well thank you all! I have, to my delight, just purchased 3 chicks from our local feed store! yay! it's great!
    jenny

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by