I don't like turkeys!

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by phoenixrises, Aug 20, 2013.

1. phoenixrises

phoenixrises Out Of The Brooder

May 20, 2013
    I've read all these great stories about turkeys and their antics well my 2 BBB apparently only got the eat, drink and poop gene (which is probably what they were indeed bread for). They have access to about 1.5 acres and never stray more than about 4 feet from their enclosure, never eat anything but their regular food even though I introduced grass and goodies early (week 2, they are currently 5 weeks).

I had these grand free range plans which are dashed. Soooo now I'm just left hoping they taste really good.

Anyway for next year I'm assuming this is not a problem I would have with heritage breeds right? Is there something I can do to make them more interested in well anything?

BTW I ended up with them because I couldn't take delivery until July and didn't think I had a hope in hades of growing any heritage breed out by Thanksgiving. It'll be hard enough with a BBB.

2. ivan3

ivan3 spurredon Premium Member

Jan 27, 2007
    BOCOMO
    Take them out and herd them around, they'll get the idea. BB's usually don't lose all interest in `moving' until they get so fat that you have to keep them on soft bedding because they are developing breast blisters (think - pressure sores).

3. phoenixrises

May 20, 2013
    Ok, I've been thinking of moving them up towards the house more rather than out back with the horses. But then I worry they might get into the chicken droppings.

4. Hummingbird Hollow

Hummingbird Hollow Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2011
    Colorado mountains
    Hah, I was planning on BBW but ended up with Royal Palms by accident. It sounds like perhaps I didn't do so badly after all. I started letting them out of their enclosure last week for the first time and they cruise all around the house...perhaps taking advantage of 2 acres of our total 18 but happily parade back into their enclosure when I ask them too. I hope I have something close to a Thanksgiving feast by November, because they don't grow very big or very fast. If we lived closer together I'd suggest we trade one or two, but I'm guessing by your user name that you are in AZ.

5. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    COnsider getting your order in NOW with Porters or another facility for next year. Palm are beauties but not as much meat as most others. I went for the larer standard sizes. My birds cover the whole farm at 4 months old, stealing from the horses, the sheep , the layers, and hunt bugs in between. Often they run up to me as if to say, "Mom, we're hungry" and I pour out tureky pellets for them . THey are like teenagers. lol As they age and get heavy they generally walk every where and save flying for an urgent situation.

Myy BBW became like slugs because they were very heavy with meat and they finally gave up grazing in the back yard for the last and 5th month.

Don't give up. Learn and put what you learned to use. YOu might like New Holands, Bronze, Narrigansetts or Bourbon REds better.

Caught a Narii tom pecking my car-- pecking at his shadow!!!

6. phoenixrises

May 20, 2013
    Luckily I have two turkey breeders near me and if I decide to do this next year I'll be getting some Nargasetts (sp?).

I actually live in Georgia. The name has to do with a midlife crisis!

7. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    Yes, you get to rebuild and rediscover!!!! GO for it!!

Narrigansetts-- From the bay area of Rhode Island originally. Named after local tribe. A very old breed of turkey. I have two and like them , except for the new behavior of pecking the car, grrrr. I have yet to meet a bad turkey. . . . from good breeders I guess.

SO be sure to start asking now about temperaments on the birds and how the breeder selects for temperament and for hardiness and for meat qualities, etc. THat is why I suggested POrters. GOod breeders make a concious decision about temperaments-- they do what works for them.

8. popsicle

popsicle Chillin' With My Peeps

My BBW didn't move around much. Then I started fermenting his feed, then he started wandering around with the Houdan (though with a few more naps than the Houdan cockerel).

Now I've got a brooder full of 11 poults from Porter's and those things are ACTIVE.

9. chickadoodles

chickadoodles Overrun With Chickens

Feb 28, 2013
    South West Alabama
    I have 5 Narragansett's and I love them! When I got them as 1day olds I played with them and loved on them all the time! Every day! Now when I go out to feed and water they come running to me! I have one that still wants me to hold her or let her sit on me. She is 5 months old and she waits for me to bend over to play with the other chickens or what ever and she jumps on my back! And yes I do have my turkey and chickens together since the day I got them! The breeders that sold me the turkey poults had me buy chicks to teach them to eat and drink! And they are a flock! I love my turkey! And want more! [​IMG]

10. Celie

Celie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2012
    Tickfaw, Louisiana
    Chickadoodles, Turkeys will imprint on you, when you hand raise them like that. You are MAMA to them. If a hen turkey raises the poults, they learn to forage more, because they imprint on the turkey hen, but they will be more stand-offish ! I love turkeys, too![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by