I don't need no Stinkin Water Bath Canner........

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by lockedhearts, Sep 11, 2008.

1. lockedhearts

lockedhearts It's All About Chicken Math

Apr 29, 2007
    Georgia
    My parents are coming up tomorrow and in a last ditch effort to feed my canning urge on a tight budget, I called my mom and asked if she had a water bath canner I could borrow.
    She said, I never bought an actual one, I always improvised, I was like HUH????
    She always used a big stock pot and put a rack in the bottom, wala Water bath Canner. She did go buy a jar remover but Hey Why Didn't I think of this before??????? DUH!!!!!
    I have 2 Huge stock pots that for the most part sit in the cupboard with no use. I also have to round cake cooling racks that fit perfectly in the bottoms [​IMG]

2. ams3651

ams3651 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    NE PA
    my gram uses one too. always has, works perfectly.

3. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Never thought of that!

4. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

they make waterbath canners?? :|[​IMG][​IMG]
    man,,, my grams would of smacked us for buying something like that,,hahaha [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

5. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    Last year I just used a large stock pot with a cooling rack in the bottom.

This year I got a BWB pot at Goodwill - with rack - for $5.

6. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    [​IMG] I love this thread!!...

7. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I thought a water bath canner was a large pot with a bottle holder inside that fits standard jars?

8. lockedhearts

Apr 29, 2007
    Georgia
    If you look at them online they state they have a rack for holding jars, the racks I have seen have indentions/spaces for the jars to sit. Basically as I understand it, that is really only for keeping them off the bottom of the pot and for lifting them out of the water.
    As my mom explained it she would process let the water cool a bit and usually run cold water over them until she could grab the jars with her hands.
    The jar grabbers are relatively inexpensive and should work if you wanted to go that way.

9. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    My mom would use a large stock pot in a pinch if she needed more than one water bath canner going and she would place acouple dish towels in the bottom if she didn't have an extra wire rack. Anything to keep the bottom of the canner from cracking the jars from the force of the boiling.

10. lockedhearts

Apr 29, 2007
    Georgia
    I have heard that you can do that too. I just lucked out and have 2 pots and 2 racks that fit. Wish I had something to can right now. I got started late and we did not think about a garden this year, except for hubbys gargantuos pepper plant mixture. I will probably grab some tomatoes and try salsa. MIL gave us some Peach Salsa when we went to visit, I love it, have to find a recipe and do that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by