1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I don't see my rooster mating

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by gimmie birdies, Dec 17, 2013.

1. gimmie birdies

gimmie birdies Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    My roosters are 6 months old and bottom of the totem pole, as far as I know. I don't see them chasing hens they runaway. are they breeding? of course you will say set some eggs and find out- I just wanted to know what you have to say. also I gave away the top hens I wonder if this will help the dynamics.[​IMG]
    my roosters Larry-blue andelusian, and Darcy blue americauna. They don't fight.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2013
  2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    When more than one is in a flock, usually the dominant one will try to prevent the others from mating. The subordinate ones may also avoid mating when the dominant one is in view. It is likely they are getting in some mating when you and the dominant bird aren't looking, though, or are at enough distance. If they see you as dominant, then they would presumably avoid mating when they think you are watching.

3. gimmie birdies

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    [​IMG]

they are the oldest males the americauna is more dom- but i have not seen him mate either.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2013
  4. sarahswank

sarahswank Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2013
    Garden City, Kansas
    Yep you guessed it: Check your eggs! No need to set them really. Just crack open a few for breakfast (or cake.. cake sounds good). Fertile eggs have a bullseye spot instead of just a normal spot on the yellow part.

5. Choco Maran

Choco Maran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    Ribera New Mexico
    At 6 months I have heard they may try to mate up will not be able to fertilize an egg until they are year old. Do not know if this is true or not just what I have heard a couple of times. Also at 6 months they are just reaching sexual age. If you what fertile eggs just be patience.

6. gimmie birdies

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    i heard a crower today.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by