I don't think I know anything about my chickies (pic heavy)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by riverwed070707, May 21, 2012.

1. riverwed070707

riverwed070707 In the Brooder

Mar 27, 2012
    Iowa
    They are 7 weeks now. I don't have any pics on my computer from recently but DH is going to try to get some today so I'll add if I can. Anyway, I was told I was getting black australorps and an amerucauna, all pullets. I got nervous Henrietta was a Henry because his/her comb was bigger than my other black one and then it got red at the base and on his/her chops. But then I was looking at pics today and decided I don't really think s/he's even an australorp. Maybe a Barred Rock or Cuckoo Maran?? Both black ones were black and yellow chicks. Now the one (gender in question) has a lot of white spots and the other one has very irredescent colored black feathers. What are they?? Just for good measure I'm throwing in pics of my yellow one too in case I don't know anything about its breed or gender either.

2 days
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4 weeks[​IMG]

5 weeks
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Yellow chickie at 5 weeks -- turned red
    [​IMG]

Black ones at 6 weeks.
    [​IMG]

Can't believe how much they've changed in so little time! I wasnt taking these pics to ID them so like I said I can try to get some better ones of face color/legs/etc but I'm intersted to hear what others think.

2. riverwed070707

Mar 27, 2012
    Iowa
    Here's one that shows his/her red and bigger chops a little better. You can also really see the white.
    [​IMG]

3. Pele

Pele Songster

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    Wow, cute chickies and kid :).

You are right, those chicks are not exactly what you ordered, unfortunately. You have a Barred Rock, a Production Red, and one Australorp (black one).

The Barred Rock is defintely looking very roo. The Australorp isn't showing any signs of male-ness from what I could see in the pics, and the Production Red I'm on the fence about. Do you have any pictures of them individually? I know they're hard to catch up with at this age, but a shot of them standing naturally and not being blocked by the other birds would be ideal.

4. MsLisaG

MsLisaG Chirping

Mar 21, 2012
    Northern California
    I'd say that's a barred rock cockerel. Looks just like my barred rock. Adorable though! :)

5. riverwed070707

Mar 27, 2012
    Iowa
    Man, after I started looking at pics of other possible breeds I got a small shimmer of hope that he might be a she afterall [​IMG] We're in the city and while I've contemplated trying to keep him, I suspect it isnt going to go over very well with the neighbors. Maybe I can bribe them with fresh eggs? :D

Super disappointed that the red one might be a male as well :( I suppose this is what happens when you buy from a back yard breeder who appears to be pretty new. I started with 5 -- two died in the first week and now 1-2 males! Ah. I'm going to get more pics when I go home for lunch today. Post more then. Thanks bunches!!

6. pidgey104

pidgey104 Cochins R Us

Nov 10, 2007
    Panama City ,Florida
    No its looks to me like the red one is the EE or Amerucana and its 100% a pullet.

7. riverwed070707

Mar 27, 2012
    Iowa
    [​IMG][​IMG]

DH was sending crying emoticons when I told him his beloved Herkey might be a roo.

8. riverwed070707

Mar 27, 2012
    Iowa
    Lunchtime pics -- these were taken today.

Henry
    [​IMG]

Winifred
    [​IMG]

Herkey -- posted the second one because you can really see some red in her/his comb that you don't see in the first but s/he hasn't developed longer waddles like Henry.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. BlazeJester

BlazeJester Songster

Aug 2, 2011
    Midway, GA
    Herkey is an easter egger cockerel. Henry is probably a black sex link cockerel - a barred rock cockerel would be a lot lighter with much better defined barring.

10. pidgey104

pidgey104 Cochins R Us

Nov 10, 2007
    Panama City ,Florida
    ohhhhh You have all roosters sorry
    At frist the red one look lighter in color but now I'm saying all roos.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: