I dont think it's bumble foot, Cochin Rooster .....ADVICE?

GopherBoyFarms

Crowing
14 Years
Mar 18, 2008
Vancouver WA
I noticed yesterday that our rooster, Nikki Roo a buff cochin was limping. I said something to DH and he said "yeah hes been doing that for about 2 days"...........(love it when I get told things right away
roll.png
)
Anyway...Nikki free ranges with the girls all day and just pretty much does his rooster stuff all day....and we have an understanding.....He doesnt bother me, I wont bother him. there is no problem with me picking up the girls, or walking up to them, he knows I am high up then him. The only thing now is since he is hurt, I feel I should investigate his feet and legs....but I cant get anywhere close to him. And at night he goes up on the highest roost, and there is no way I can reach him.
Should I throw a blanket over him or something and try to catch him, or just give it a few days and see if he heals up?

~Tiff~

Last edited:
Deffinantly get ahold of him and check him out. If there's a problem catching it early is key for chickens. Especially since their environment is not exactly the most sanitary. You could save his life. The worst that could happen would be you find nothing.

how in the HECK am I supposed to get him??? Until a year ago I had a bad case of alektraphobia and got over it by raising these chickens from day olds....but he's a big one, and a little scary....guess I go after him with a blanket..........maybe after a glass or 3 of wine.

anyone have any ideas on catching him that wont be tramatic to him or me?

If there is anyway to corner him up against a building or fence and then use a fish net and at night when he goes into the coop he most likely will eat a little before roosting and you could net him then or bring in a ladder to get to the roost....turn off the lights and bring him down. You can do it!
celebrate.gif

anyone have any ideas on catching him that wont be tramatic to him or me?

Wait until he is roosting and preferably soundly asleep. Tiptoe out to the coop with a flashlight and pick him up. You can them bring him in the house to look at him if you need more light to see by.

Edited to say woops, i didn't see the part where you said he sleeps on the highest roost. He doesn't come close to you even if you are throwing down treats? Usually a roo will come for treats so that he can show them off to his girls. I have caught roos by luring them with treats, and then sneakily working my hand a bit close to them, then go under and lift. It takes practice
lol.png
.​

Last edited:
thanks everyone.....
of course when I went out to check on the girls, make sure they are all tucked in....there was Nikki Roo.........way up high, in the very corner of the coop on the highest perch!! That big fat butt probably hurt his leg jumping down from there every morning....when I go out I hear him hit the floor and the ground shakes!
Thankfully we are going in and going to re-do the roosts in that coop soon since Nikki bigg butt has broke 2 roosts already!!

Ok....I will let you know how it goes, hopefully he is ok, I have the chicken hospital set up here in the office....but if it comes down to a knock down drag out....that big guy might win!

~Tiff~

Quote:
I tried that this morning....the gentleman that he is...lets all the girls out first...so he and the broody where the only two in there (there is a window right next to the pop door) He saw me and wasnt coming out....I went in and feathers where flying.....he felt cornered and wasnt going to have it.....I got scared and left! LMAO

Ok, well the small boy child (9 yr old) and I went out and got the bad boy rooster....I did it!!! But I dont know what to do now. He is a cochin so his feet are covered with feathers, I soaked his feets in a warm sink of water, and started looking at his foot.....it is SOOOO red and swollen. It looks so painful. Here are the pics that Coltin (the 9 yr old) and I tried to get.....neither one of us is very good with this camera.
100_0016-2.jpg

100_0017-1.jpg

100_0018-1.jpg

100_0021-1.jpg

100_0022.jpg

100_0023.jpg

100_0024.jpg

100_0026-1.jpg

The only thing I have on hand is Duramycin-10
anyone know what is going on?? I dont think it is anything like scaley leg mites...I hold most my chickens daily and check their legs, and look for bugs on them....I have never seen any. We use DE in the coop, but then again he does jump off the highest perch and after wrestling with him jsut now I would say he weighs close to 20 pounds! Our yard has been muddy (we are in the Pacific North West) and there is gravel, and a wood pile the chickens love to hang out in. Right now I have him here in the office in a large dog carrier with a sheet over it...he IS NOT HAPPY!

anyone????

~Tiff~

Back
Top Bottom