I don't think I've been so happy of seeing a chicken poop...

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Chido, Oct 12, 2011.

1. Chido

Chido Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    El Monte
    Spaghetti, my barred rock hen, has been sick. she got a nasty respiratory inrfection that eventually spreaded to all my other chickens, and while I've treated everybody for the illness and she breathes normal now, she hardly eats and is very underweight. I've tried to feed her different stuff like yogurt, ham, oatmeal, mealworms, bread, etc., with very little success, and her poop consists of yellowish water with a bit of white/yellow stuff and very little green solid stuff.

Today I finally found something she'd eat more than one or two bites. I soaked her layer pellets in warm water until they were all soft but without being too liquid, and she ate about a spoonful of feed. That was at noon before i left for school. I came back late tonight, went to get her from the coop, and put her in my bathroom. I offer her more of the mashy feed and she ate another spoonful, and she pooed too. It was the same water stuff, but his time it has chunks of poop! It was light green because she hasn't had much inside her in days... still...

My baby finally ate enough to produce some poop! [​IMG]

2. Fierlin1182

Fierlin1182 powered-flight

Aug 26, 2011
    I'm glad she's getting better. Here's to a speedy recovery to your flock. [​IMG]
    I don't know much about diseases in chickens, when ours didn't poop we fed them garlic and it must've gone that digestion going again. Watery poop used to pass on its own, happened all the time in ours.

3. OvertheHenHouse

OvertheHenHouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2011
    San Diego
    Glad to hear it! That feed mash is amazing - super glad it worked for you!

4. Chido

Chido Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    El Monte
    And we got poop this morning! It splashed everywhere but this hen has never pooped one solid piece of poop since we got her a few months ago. The urate in her poop is still yellow, and according to what I've read, that means problems with the liver D:. I hope the damage is not permanent...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by