I don't think my Broody is getting off her nest???

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by jBlaze, Apr 28, 2009.

1. jBlaze

jBlaze Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2008
    Oregon
    I have a hen that is about a year and started brooding about 4/23. I moved her from the coop into her own areaon 4/25 (night) I kept her on that box the next day, then opened her box night of 4/26. I don't think she is getting off the nest for anything??
    I have her in a "chicken barn" from teh feed store, it is about 3 feet square. I have it lined with straw. I made her a new nest out of a Luvs box, put a goat fleece in it and grass hay (same hay as was in the laying boxes). I put her feed and water on a small piece of plywood. It does not look like she messed with the feed at all.
    I just got back in from taking her off the nest. she pecked and growled at me and got right back on. There was one egg with runny poo slime on it.

Any advice would be appreciated! I am a complete novice at broodies.
    [​IMG]
    (my exp: we got chickens in October, a hen with 5 chicks and some year old hens. I have a seperate run with about 14 pullets that are about 8 weeks now, raised from day olds. The broody is a smallish red/blond/black speckeled and the roo is a barnavelder. She has 9 eggs)

2. ChickenCat

ChickenCat Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2009
    craig county, VA
    If she is broody, and it sounds like she is. She will get off the nest when she is READY to get a drink or a bite. She will stay on the nest, loose weight and look down right natty before those chicks are born. It's a tough few weeks for the hen, but she will make it. [​IMG] Don't worry about that egg. If you want to check the eggs, just slip your hand under her, lift gently for a peek and put her back down.

3. Lach Cnoc Farm

Lach Cnoc Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Western Washington
    My hens always stop laying when they get broody. she wont get over it until she hatches something, at least mine never did. Your probably shouldn't worry about it too much, their poo gets a little icky lookin' when they're broody too. just give her a few eggs if u want and move her food & water a little closer to the nest. I always have to toss food under the coop by the goose and duck's nests, they almost Never get off to eat.

ETA: Sometimes i had to use a stick to check the eggs under my silkies, they would get the most attitude of all my chickens when they became broody.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2009
  4. Maryallison

Maryallison Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2008
    Fountain, Florida
    I have a Buff that is Broody now and she like NEVER wants off the nest! Other chickens in the coop sit with her and lay eggs in the same box, it is too funny! I push her off the nest at feeding time and she gets off real quick and then right back to sitting. [​IMG] Don't worry about your chicken, she'll eat. [​IMG]

5. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    I used to have a Rock/ Lackie cross that lived on the nest. She had her breast feathers worn off.
    I called her Hokey Pokey - I'd kicked her off the nest, she'd get back on... I'd kick er off, she'd get back on...

I eventually gave up worrying about it.

6. sheps4her

sheps4her Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2008
    Guilford County, NC
    Sounds like normal broody behavior...Just leave her alone and she will be fine. I have a broody also..only 1 more week to go!! [​IMG]

7. jBlaze

jBlaze Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2008
    Oregon
    Thanks, I want her to hatch chicks, but I don't want her to starve or dehydrate. I'd rather she not poo in the nest either. Won't that hurt the chicks?
    Do they ever perish of brooding?
    J.

8. ams3651

ams3651 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    NE PA
    try putting a treat she really likes nearby. Watermelon or grapes are juicy. Watch her, some people on here have lost broodys because they never wanted to get up. I just had one hatch 4 chicks and she was very good at getting up for a couple minutes a few times a day. I was also told the eggs should not be really dirty because it affects the eggs ability to "breathe". Good Luck.

9. Lil Chickie Mama

Lil Chickie Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2009
    California
    Only if the nest box isn't big enough or they're clumsy and they break the eggs

10. capduf

capduf New Egg

I have a Khaki Campbell sitting on 8 eggs. Everyday for a week she gets off in the morning runs around eating, drinking has a quick bath, grooms, drinks again eats and runs back and sits on her nest. Very funny to watch because it is like she has a built in timer. BUT today, she is on the nest and won't get off! I have water and feed near by. Is there anything else I should do? Thanks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by