i dont think my eggs are going to hatch??!! please help any thoughts?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chickenboy1993, Apr 15, 2009.

1. chickenboy1993

chickenboy1993 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    dayton, Virginia
    its day 19 and when i candled them on monday i saw a large black mass in it which i assume is the chick but then i saw i darker mass that was moving around whats that? and ive never hatched out any before but ive tried to ive had like 20 batches of eggs and i never hatched a single chick does anyone have any thought?

2. 77horses

77horses ◊The Spontaneous Pullet!◊

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    mmm...not sure...the moving black mass should have veins around it and you may be able to see the chick's eye bouncing around in there. But not sure what the other mass might be?? [​IMG]

Good luck! [​IMG] and don't stress too much over it! [​IMG]

3. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    If something is moveing it should be viable egg. If its day 19 make shure the temp is 99.5 ish for a incubator witha fan and 101 ish for an incubator with out a fan .
    Fill up the water resevoirs and if you have a humidity gauge get it up to 65-75% humidity,
    Then leave the eggs alone till day 24or untill they hatch

4. CindyS

CindyS Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    Geneseo, Illinois
    An egg on day 19 should be solid with an air space at the top. You mean moving as in sloshing around when you move the egg? Sounds like early embryo death. You have tried 20 times with no results, Have you changed anything in those 20 times? Such as thermometers or egg suppliers? Something must be seriously wrong.

5. 77horses

77horses ◊The Spontaneous Pullet!◊

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    Just leave the eggs alone for now! Oh and i just realized they are at day 19. [​IMG] so you usually can't see the embryo moving because the chick is too large to move around as much as when it was growing. DON'T OPEN THE INCUBATOR THAT OFTEN!!!! [​IMG] I know it's tempting, but you must leave the eggs alone until they start to pip and hatch. You can candle them once, and when you do, look for the air bubble to be pipped(you may see the beak in the air bubble).

Good luck and hang in there! Remember: keep hum. and temp steady and don't turn the eggs(although you probably know that you should stop turning them at day 18)

[​IMG] [​IMG]

6. chickenboy1993

chickenboy1993 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    dayton, Virginia
    all my eggs suppliers have been different and right now my temps at like 95 should i try to bump it up? this is the first time my eggs have been black should i candle some again?

Last edited: Apr 15, 2009
  7. chilling in muscadine

chilling in muscadine { I love being disfunctual }

Jun 8, 2008
    muscadine, al.
    Since you are on day 19 just wait and see what happens. By now you will be able to see the chick moving in there. What I'm trying to figure out is what has gone wrong since you have tried to hatch so many times with no luck. Explain your set up to us and maybe someone can help you. I hope you get a hatch this time around.

8. chilling in muscadine

chilling in muscadine { I love being disfunctual }

Jun 8, 2008
    muscadine, al.
    Quote:Your bator should be 100 degrees with forced air and 102 with still air. Has your temps been this low the entire time? If so technically they would not be on day 19. They would be developing slower.

9. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Quote:Have you're temps been at 95 the whole time? If they have your hatch will probably be delayed by at least a couple of days. At this point leave them alone and the lid on your incubator.

Did you do the things some of us recommended to you 3 weeks ago when you came on asking for help?

10. peaceful

peaceful Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    BC Canada
    95 is too low, adjust your temperature up to around 101ish for still air or 99.5 for circulated air.
    And tell us more detail about what you have done the other times so we can help you figure out what went wrong. What kind of incubator? What temps and humidity? are the conditions constant? Did you turn the eggs? Where did the eggs come from? Did you change the environment on the last three days to up the humidity and not open the incubator?...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by