I don't think my little chick will last the night

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mummyandchicks, Nov 22, 2013.

1. mummyandchicks

mummyandchicks Out Of The Brooder

Nov 22, 2013
    I have my first chicks - 8 bantam partridge wyandotes. While I really wanted light sussexs these are a better option for my children of 7 and 5. The chicks are 1 week old today. We have all been very excited. Almost all of my research for this adventure has been from you all at BYC -thanks its been great.

Late this afternoon though one, who I think is a boy as it has lighter colouring and is light around the eyes, has runny poop, is lethargic, eyes closed - symptoms described by many of you.

The brooder has sand in the bottom with temps between 27 and 32 degrees c. They have medicated chick food - not that they appreciate it as they chuck it all over.

I'll try getting corid in the morning (it's midnight here in Canberra Australia) and if he is still with us give him some but also the 7 others. He's separated from his little family and chirping for them - makes me feel sad. I don't want him to die on his own.

I've been sitting with him on my lap with a wheat bag underneath and a blue nappy wrapped around him but figure he needs a good sleep if he's going to make it. He's been taking water but no food.

I'll wait and see I guess. Funny thing is as I am unable to keep roosters, if he us one I need to rehome him anyway. I hope I get to find him somewhere.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Here are some different medicines recommended in Australia to treat cocidiosis. Coccivet at the bottom would be equal to Corid. Use another if you can't find it.

Treatment

If an outbreak of coccidiosis occurs, start treatment as soon as possible. Amprolium (Amprolimix-plus[​IMG], made by MSD AgVet, and Keymix Keystat Key 25[​IMG], made by International Animal Health Products), are commonly used to treat outbreaks.
    Common Medications (many available at local produce stores):
    Sulphaquin (Sulphaquinoxaline)
    Sulpha D (sulfadiazine)
    Sulpha 3 (Sulphaquinoxaline+Sulphadimidine+Sulphathiazole)
    Sulphadim (Sulphadimione)
    Baycox (Toltrazuril)
    Coccivet (Amprolium, Ethopabate)

3. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    In the meantime, buttermilk would coat his intestines giving you extra time to get the medicine. Good luck.

4. mummyandchicks

Nov 22, 2013
    Thank you eggcessive. He's still with me. It's 6am here. I kept the water up to him last night and gave him and the others greek yoghurt. I haven't seen him open his eyes in hours but he is chirping a bit. At least if he goes today he'll have someone with him.

I'll call Powells our localish stock fed supplier this morning. Thank you very much for the list.

The others look okay so far.

5. mummyandchicks

Nov 22, 2013
    By the way eggcessive -do you have lots of chickens by any chance.

6. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Another Australian coccidiosis product is Amprolium 200, it looks like this:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

-Kathy

Last edited: Nov 22, 2013
  7. mummyandchicks

Nov 22, 2013
    Thank you Kathy.

I'm waiting for the Stock feeders to open at 8.30 to call them. The vet opens at 9am. He's slowing drifting away I think.

8. mummyandchicks

Nov 22, 2013
    I've taken the little chick to the vet to be put to sleep. He was getting worse and struggling to breath. I have Sulfa 3 in the water for the others. Guess I wait and see if any others get suck. I hope not.

9. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Way more than I need--58 right now, but I sell extra eggs at a local co-op. In the spring I hatch a few eggs with a broody hen or my incubator. So sorry that your little one probably won't make it.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by