I don't think my little girl is a little girl afterall :( Crowing???? Video attached...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by pinkribbons4, Mar 29, 2012.

1. pinkribbons4

pinkribbons4 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 8, 2012
    Vermont
    I think it's official...I was sitting on the couch a couple of minutes ago and all of a sudden heard this weird noise coming from the brooder...I heard it again...I dashed over and all the "girls" were standing still...then "Lulu" leaned forward and let out this weird "crowing" sound...at least I think that was what it was...do you think I should officially change her name? I attached a video of the suspected crowing...

What a way to start the day! Boo :(

[​IMG]

2. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

I don't have sound, but that is all the motions of a crow.. I think Lulu is a boy.

3. cjwaldon

cjwaldon Overrun With Chickens

Sep 11, 2011
    Missouri, USA
    My Coop
    Looks and sounds like crowing to me! I've never had one start so young though!

4. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    I've got sound. And that's some what disturbing for a chick to be acting like an adolescent. Funny but still disturbing to me. They try and grow up too soon now a days.

5. pinkribbons4

Mar 8, 2012
    Vermont
    She/he turned 4 weeks on Tuesday :( I really didn't want any roosters! She/he is a Polish and her head feathers look very male (from everything I've read and looked at online). This is my very first batch of chicks EVER.

6. mong7769

mong7769 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 4, 2012
    North Olmsted, Ohio
    Have to say I would say that is crowing. Have a feeling 'Lulu' isn't going to work anymore . . .

7. wilbilt

wilbilt Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2012
    Nor Cal
    "She" sounds like a squeaky toy!

I have six chicks that are about 5 weeks old. 3 or 4 of them do a "crowing motion" thing, but thankfully, they don't make any noise. They point their head down, open their beak and then raise their head and stretch their neck out with the beak open. They are all supposed to be pullets, so hopefully it is just a phase, LOL

8. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    Yep I have had them start as early as 2 weeks old. What really throws me off is when the pullets crow. I have a serama hen who thinks she is a rooster and often crows like one, had another pullet make me think she was a rooster until the day she laid an egg! But your baby there looks like a roo to me.

9. mondotomhead

mondotomhead Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2011
    Sturbridge
    That sound made me laugh right out loud. How cute!

10. pinkribbons4

Mar 8, 2012
    Vermont
    I have to admit it is cute...but I just really didn't/don't want any roosters :(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by