I don't think my rescue duck is going to make it. :(

Happyflower

Songster
10 Years
Jun 3, 2009
Midwest
All day today she hasn't been able to stay sitting still, keeps trying to stand up and groom herself, than falls over and can't get herself back up. So she can't eat or drink either by herself. She swims okay though.

I hold her and she wants to be straight with her legs out like standing, but she leans back into my hands to rest her head. It seems to calm her when I hold her head and she eats and drinks. I feel sad and have to go to bed, but the thought of her laying on her back all night makes me upset even though that is the position she likes to be held in now. I have given her tons to eat and drink and think she will be okay over night in that way. I guess I am hoping now for a miracle. I peep at her and she peeps back at me.
hit.gif

Last edited:
aww poor baby......
sad.png

What is main problem? she can't stand on her own??? like how are her legs? Sorry if you have already mentioned that in another post....All i can suggest so far, is to keep doing what you are doing and maybe put in a stuffed animal in w her or a mirror so she wont feel alone but other than that, i'd keep helping her a bit eating and drinking.....the only glitch is you have to get up and do that every so hours.....i kno it seems hopeless right now but, don't despair.... Does it seem like a condition that could improve over time?

awww, poor thing! sounds like a caring project right up my alley!
keep doing what you are doing... gently help the duckling 'stand' and do little things to improve her strength... at a slow pace however. let her do more and more of the work so the strengthening is real gradual for her.
she is a lucky ducky to have you.

aww i want to adopted a duck does anyone no of an adoption center in michigan that i can adopt from?
would love to give a duck home all of mine just died. ):
hit.gif
wee.gif
th.gif
barnie.gif
frow.gif
fl.gif

Okay I think I panicked because of one bad day, I guess they are allowed that. Because today she is the best ever. One step back two steps forward I guess. She is now calming down and allowing herself to sit. She kept trying to stand up and flap her wings yesterday like the big boys and they she would lose her balance and fling all over and not be able to get up. She was so exhausted that she didn't want to eat or drink and that is what worried me the most. But later last night and early this morning she ate like the normal little piggie she can be. My 15 yr. old daughter helped today with holding her so she could groom herself, which was good because I was getting really frustrated and maybe the duck could sense that.

I really like the idea someone gave of the rolled up towels, I used an old yoga mat instead cut up and rolled pieces all the way around her basket. Maybe the yoga mat gave her some inner peace or something.
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom