I don't think my TSC incubator is working

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by RookieBreeder, Feb 26, 2012.

1. RookieBreeder

RookieBreeder Out Of The Brooder

Feb 26, 2012
    Tennessesse
    My Coop
    I bought a styrafoam incubator and turner from TSC but ive had 0 out of 50 or more eggs hatch. I sent to to my friend, and they both hatched. Any tips on how to hatch my own chickens?

2. speedy2020

speedy2020 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2010
    Your eggs may not be any good to begin with. If you incubator holding temp at 99-101F steadily, it is going to hatch some eggs. The egg should be less than 8days old. The egg older than 8 days will also hatch, but lower rate. You can read more on "Dry Incubator Method". It is simple with little hassle.

3. Jake1297

Jake1297 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2011
    Western Maine
    I've got to ask and don't take this wrong, Do you have a Rooster? If so does he get along with your hens? Sometimes they will fight off the rooster. What is your hen to rooster racial?

4. RookieBreeder

Feb 26, 2012
    Tennessesse
    My Coop
    Yes, I have 5 roosters to 30 hens, and I see them "doing their bisuss" all the time. I know the eggs are fertilized, because when they dont hatch, I rack them open and see whats inside. Probally 10 day chicks most of the tme. And my friend hatch two of my eggs in her incubator too.

5. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    [​IMG] Okay lets start with the basic's. What was your temp and humidity during your hatch? Another thing to consider is was the incubator clean or have some bacteria in it. I would give it a good cleaning let dry. And try again.

6. RookieBreeder

Feb 26, 2012
    Tennessesse
    My Coop
    yes I know it was clean, and I dont know how to check humidity

7. NYRIR

NYRIR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    Is your thermometer calibrated? If you are using the paper one, i would suggest buying another. Is the temp in your room where the incubator is fluctuating a lot?
    Humidity is measured by a hydrometer. If you do a search for incubator thermometers it should bring something up. Also, I have used a styrofoam incubator without checking humidity. I got 9/13 to hatch with just filling 2 of the trays for the water and before lockdown, filling the third as well.

8. builderone

builderone Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2011
    You can check your thermometer with a glass of ice and water, also what height are you taking the reading at it needs to be at egg height and if it doesn't have a fan this is even more important.

9. RookieBreeder

Feb 26, 2012
    Tennessesse
    My Coop
    ok, Thanks. But yesterday, I had one almost hatch. But it somhow died:(

10. animalsRawesome

animalsRawesome Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    From what I've read on here that means that your humidity is probably too high. When the humidity is to high, it doesn't allow any of the water inside the egg to evaporate, causing the chick to drown when it tries to hatch.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by