1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I Don't Think Our Nanny Is Nursing

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by DrinkTheRainbow, Jun 12, 2011.

1. DrinkTheRainbow

DrinkTheRainbow Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2011
    Altoona, Wisconsin
    How can you tell if she is actually nursing?

2. Haviris2

Haviris2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2011
    Do the babies cry alot? Are they constantly trying to eat? Do they look thin? How does her udder look? Is it overly full and tight?

3. DrinkTheRainbow

DrinkTheRainbow Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2011
    Altoona, Wisconsin
    Umm...they seem pretty full. The one kid looks fine, but whenever she tries feeding the nanny kinda walks away.

4. glenolam

glenolam Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    Canterbury, CT
    How old are the kids? We're talking about a goat, right? (Sorry - just wanted to be sure!)

Is this her first kidding? How many kids does she have?

Kids will usually get quite a bit in just a few seconds so, assuming the kids are older and know what they're doing, they could be nursing very quickly and you just don't see it. If you can give us more information that would help.

5. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    The kids will look skinny and thin since they have not developed a rumen at this point. As long as they are not crying a lot, feel cold, or are weak, they are most likely getting all they need. They won't eat a whole lot at one feeding.

Also, as someone else mentioned, if her udder is hot and tight, she is probably engorged and it probably hurts of the kids to nurse. If that's the case, you'll have to milk out a little so it will be less painful for her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by