1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

I don't think thats a Chicken...

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Christags07, Jul 28, 2014.

1. Christags07

Christags07 In the Brooder

Nov 10, 2013
    Chicago
    Look out the window and see this guy having a good time in the Coop. Thankfully the chickens were not in there during his visit. Looks like I need to fence in the hens and put some bird screen on top. I thought being in Chicago my only predator concern were cats and raccoons.

2. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Free Ranging Premium Member 8 Years

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Beautiful bird! Maybe not so beautiful in the chicken coop, though... Yes, definitely put a cover on your run. I think you'd be surprised at the predators that come through in the night. When my son was going to college in St. Paul, MN he saw a coyote crossing a 4-lane highway one night. There are also deer that live there. (I know, the deer aren't predators, but it did surprise me to know they were in St. Paul)

3. keesmom

keesmom Crowing 10 Years

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    Yup, I had one just like it in my coop several years ago. Flew in after a hen right through their 18 in x 18 in pop door. Found it when I went in to collect eggs. Now they have a covered run.

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member 5 Years

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Where were the chickens?

Hawk Proof:
    [​IMG]

5. Pyro01

Pyro01 In the Brooder

Jul 25, 2014
    Menomonie, WI

Looks like an immature Cooper's hawk, glad he didn't get any chickens. Thanks for the video.

6. Christags07

Nov 10, 2013
    Chicago
    Tomorrow I'm building a temporary run out of PVC till I can build a cedar addition to their existing run.

After a bit of research kinda leaning peregrine falcon. There's a whole family living in the park next to our house. They were stalking my kids today now...LOL. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 30, 2014
  7. Christags07

Nov 10, 2013
    Chicago
    The chickens were just having a good time roaming around the yard, not scared at all.

8. Mah1Mah1

Mah1Mah1 Chirping

May 25, 2014
    Australia, NSW
    We have quite a few hawks in the area so we are constantly afraid of hawks because our chooks are bantams. The breeder who sold them to us had two carried off [​IMG]. I think the chickens have forgotten what a hawk sounds like because they don't usually comt too often due to the fact I chased them off with a open umbrella... [​IMG]

9. Pyro01

Pyro01 In the Brooder

Jul 25, 2014
    Menomonie, WI
    Definitely not a peregrine, it's a cooper's hawk. It has a super long tail like most acciptrine hawks do, and it had the immature barring one would have. Besides, I've never heard of a peregrine flying into a chicken coop, they descend from on high and are not direct pursuers like Cooper's are.

Peregrine-
    [​IMG]

Cooper's Hawk:
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: