I dont think this is working

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by JHillgrove, Sep 11, 2011.

1. JHillgrove

JHillgrove Out Of The Brooder

Aug 2, 2011
    Snohomish, WA
    First time trying to hatch eggs,

I really dont think this is working, my hen keeps pushing eggs away and letting them get cold. She started with 7, down to 4 some were broken so all are covered in dried yoke, and poop, she apparently hasnt gotten up to poop [​IMG] no way those eggs have a chance, right? I would like to just call it quits but I would feel terrible if she went through all this time, and didnt get to raise a chick. There is feed store in the next town selling chicks so I thought about just getting her a couple and sticking them in there during the night, in the morning,

[​IMG] Surprise, Your chicks are here!

Would that work? What should I do?[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 11, 2011
  2. MED747

MED747 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 13, 2011
    First question I would ask is she acting broody at all?

3. SkyWarrior

SkyWarrior Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Wilds of Montana
    Oddly enough, I don't think it matters to her. If the eggs don't hatch, she'll get bored and do something else. [​IMG] It's just instinct.

I had a goose who sat on eggs, but I made the mistake of bringing in ducks, geese and turkey chicks nearby and she abandoned her eggs. [​IMG] She would hiss at me if I approached the brooder.

At this stage, I would wonder if she's broody or if she's going through the motions. Then again, they might hatch. [​IMG]

4. JHillgrove

Aug 2, 2011
    Snohomish, WA
    Well I think she is broody because all she does it sits on eggs hardly ever gets up to eat of drink (or poop). SHe doesnt hisss at me, she make kind of a humming noise when she sees me come her way. When I open her box and touch her she just makes noises, she has always been a very friendly hen.
    She doesnt try to get out of the box when I open it. I leave it closed though because the other chickens are very curious about her.

5. JHillgrove

Aug 2, 2011
    Snohomish, WA
    I went to the feed store and bought her 4 little chicks and put them under her in the night and took out the eggs. But the morning they were so sweet to eachother. She kept them so nice and warm and they sat on her back. She has been outside catching bugs for them and then giving them to the chicks, its the cutest thing I have ever seen. I am glad I did that.

6. ReikiStar

ReikiStar Chillin' With My Peeps

Congratulations! Glad she accepted "her new babies" so easily. Good move! [​IMG]

7. Gypsy07

Gypsy07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Sounds like you did exactly the right thing. And sounds like she's going to be a good mother to them. Excellent result all round! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by