I don't understand whats going on with my temp/humidity?!?!?!

Smokin Silkies

formerly browneyebuttafly
11 Years
Mar 27, 2009
Western, PA
I have a Genesis 1588 with turner. I had my bator set up for 3 days and the temp stayed at a steady 99.5. I calibrated my digital springfield thermo/hygrometer and it said 64% so I knew to add 11% to my reading. 24 hrs after adding eggs, my temps been 100.8-101.1 and I put my eggs in late Friday night. I decided to calibrate my other springfield a couple days ago and the humidity was 33% off!!!! So I added that to my reading. Next day, both hygrometers were reading the exact same, one temp said 100.6 and the 101.1??? Im so confused!!! They are on opposite sides of each other, but same distance away from the circulated fan???? What should I do???

Could somebody tell me a GOOD thermometer/hygrometer to get without spending an arm and a leg. Somebody with personal experience using it? Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
I wish i know what to tell you - I am having the same probem with my hatcher I built. Using the hobavator heating system - I set it up 3 days prior - perfect steady at 99.5. The the night i put my eggs in it shot upto 105. then steadied again at 99.6 for 24 hours then went down to 92 last night! I COULD SCREAM!

Use a digital thermometer with a probe and get one of those toy water wigglers to put it in or make one yourself by filling up a ziplock bag and rolling it up and putting the probe in the fold of the bag. This will give you a more accurate temperature for the INSIDE of the egg, which should be 99-100 (sometimes 98-101 is fine, because mine has had that range before and so far it's been fine). For humidity, I use a non-digital meter.
Good luck!
smile.png

I have the Little Giant Still Air that I used a few times, needed a 2nd one so I got the Genesis last fall. Worked perfect for 2 hatches, so I'm hoping its just the cheap termo/hgyro combo I got. They both worked good last Fall when I purchased them. Calibrated to exactly 75%......who knows?!?!

the spot check by brinsea comes highly recomended for being very accurate. around 25.00 oh i have two of those from walmart . enough said. good for household use not high humidity use.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom