I don't wanna order from the big hatcheries!

AprilAWZ

Songster
12 Years
Nov 28, 2007
northeastern MN
Hi all, hope everyone's having a groovy holiday
yippiechickie.gif

I've got my poultry "shopping list" ready for this spring, but if I can avoid it, I really want to stay away from the bigger hatcheries. And, I'd really prefer to hatch the little fuzzies out myself. Sooo, with that in mind, here's my list, and if any of you breed these guys, or know of any breeders, I'd love to hear from you!

Partridge Rocks - Although I'd like birds that are true to type, I'm not looking for show quality. Actually, this can be said for all the birds I'm looking for. I'd like these guys because I appreciate the utility of the Rocks, but the added broodiness and "pretty" that they bring is what I'd like to add...right now, I have a whole lot of black and white! lol!

Bourbon Red and Narraganset turkeys - I'd really like to find hatching eggs, but poults within "day-trip" radius would definitely do. I have found a BR breeder, but I still want to add a few for the sake of genetic diversity.

Rouen and Saxony ducks - Again, I'd like true to type birds, but definitly production types, not exhibition.

Toulouse geese - My 'bator and hatcher would not handle goose eggs, so I'd want to stick with goslings. I guess I really don't have much of a preference about the dewlap type or not - either way, I want a calm, thrifty birds that will breed true.

Overall, my goals are to start more-or-less self sustaining, hardy flocks of heritage birds that are going to thrive in my little chunk of land. I hope to avoid anything too refined and/or linebred, however, I still want to stay within the breed standards. I want to give myself enough diversity to figure out what works here, and start developing from there.

But anywho, that's the wish list. I hope to get squared away sometime in February, that is, get my orders in and fire up the 'bators and brooders, and...wait!
fl.gif
jumpy.gif

If you can find Partridge rock eggs, PLEASE let me know. I have looked everywhere. And the only thing I can find is chicks from Strombergs. Please let me know!!!

It is hard to find partridge rock eggs or chicken for some reason unless you order from a hatchery. I am still not sure why? I have hens and roosters are on there way. I ordered them from Ideal hatchery. The roosters should be coming from Maryland. I am going to hatch out my own eggs in the spring hopefully. My girls are 3 mths. old right now so it might be summer before I get any eggs I can hatch. If you all are still interested in the summer I would be happy to send eggs for free just pay shipping. The hens are from Ideal so are not show quality but if you are interested just let me know.

Quote:
I'll keep that in mind. I'm not sure how big I want my laying flock to get, nor how big my current batch of chicks will make it.
smile.png

Last edited:
Quote:
I've not had a problem finding Partridge rock chicks at the bigger hatcheries, but they usually list them under the "rare breed" heading. But again, I'd really prefer breeder stock, and I'm paranoid enough to where I feel like I want to start creating distance between me, the big hatcheries, and future NAIS databases...now, where did I put my tinfoil hat?
wink.png

I haven't yet ordered from a big hatchery--is there something bad about them I should know about?

I recommend the Holderreads for the geese. They are a bit large scale but seem more like a giant backyard breeder rather than a hatchery. I have fully researched them and have found them to be great. Their minimum gosling order is 4 and you can choose from several colors and show grades. If everything goes well this spring with building a fence I will be ordering some Shetland geese. The website is worth taking a look at.

http://www.holderreadfarm.com/

I don't know if Ideal carries what you want, but unlike most large hatcheries, they breed thier own chicks. You might want to look at what they have. Most chicks aren't available until March.

Back
Top Bottom