I don't want broody, right?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by threehens, Feb 18, 2009.

1. threehens

threehens Out Of The Brooder

Aug 12, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    I don't have a rooster so there's no reason why my hen should have stayed in the one nesting box all day long right? Now what do I do? I lifted her off and tried to put her on the roost but she wouldn't take it and just sat on the floor. I took the three eggs she was on and the golf ball away. If she's going to hog the box all day, where will the other two lay? I was just getting used to having eggs! Do I reach under her to collect eggs or should I just wait until evening when the other two are roosted? Can they still share a nest box?

Now, let's see who can answer all of my questions!! I think I've asked too many...

2. Master S.M.C

Master S.M.C Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2009
    Maryland
    Hens can go broody with out roos, to stop place her on a wire floor so the air will come up and cool off her underside breaking the broodiness

3. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    You need a "broody breaker" box or kennel. Something separate where she can't get comfy. Take away all eggs, real or fake, and all the creature comforts. I have a separate kennel just for broodies. Sometimes it works in a day or two, sometimes (like with one I have right now [​IMG]) it can take weeks. They need to eat and drink, so make sure she's getting exercise every day.
    [​IMG]

4. sewincircle

sewincircle Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Central New York
    I am dealing with the same thing. I have three that have gone broody. Yes, you can take the eggs right out from under her. You may need to remove her from the coop and put her in a wire bottom cage. It will make her uncomfortable and break the broody spell. They do not lay while being broody. It may take awhile. Good luck!!!

5. threehens

Aug 12, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    So, if she' separated, how do you know when she's "broken"?

6. cwc362

cwc362 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2008
    Huntingdon- West Tn
    Quote:Just go ahead and get some fertile eggs and set those babies!! LOL You know if you stay here on BYC . YOu will catch chicken fever and you'll have chicken dreams, chicken house ornaments, chicken jewelry and possibly chickens in every corner of your yard and maybe even in the house!! Just a warning!! LOL

Wayne
    n
    Tennessee

7. threehens

Aug 12, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    I'm already having chicken dreams, nightmares really, of not getting eggs, chasing them around trying to catch them when they fly the coop, and certainly tonight of one weird bird staring at me while hunkered down in the nest box that the other two need to use. And, someone just gave me a pair of pants with chickens on them for my infant. I think it's beginning...

8. sandypaws

sandypaws Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2008
    desert of calif
    you only have ONE nesting box????

9. threehens

Aug 12, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    Yes, I thought that was ok. We only have three chickens. You think we need another one?

10. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    One nest box is fine. You can have up to 5 girls to a nest box. I have an old rabbit hutch that I converted to a brooder. I also use it as a chicken jail. I do have a nest box in it with feed and water. There is a picture on my BYC Page. It has a wire in the bottom. I do have a piece of plywood that I can take out or put in the bottom.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by