1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

I don't want her to be broody, what to do?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Charlene, Sep 3, 2008.

1. Charlene

Charlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2008
    My BR hen has gone broody. This is my first time! I seem to recall people saying to just take her off the nest. I did that about 5 times yesterday! I even took her off at night and put her on the roost. This is day 3. How long will this last? She doesn't even have eggs to sit on.

Will she lay while she's broody? She is also taking up the favorite nest, so I'm worried the others won't lay as much [​IMG]

Ideas?

2. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Make her uncomfortable. Do you have a wire bottom cage? Not to big of mess though. If you do put her in it without any bedding.

3. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

I will tell you a method that works for me but isn't very popular to most folks on here. An earlier post said her grandma used to hold a hen upside down and dunk her several times in a bucket of water to break the broodiness.

Some feel it is actually the change in body temps that cause the success of this maneuver...I don't know. I just know it works. I don't use cold water, really, just whatever happens to be setting around. I don't dunk several times, only a few, and the hen barely gets wet on the surface, so I doubt if this would cool her core temps down much at all. I just know they really don't appreciate it and it takes their minds off the nest.

I dunk 2-3 times, toss lightly out of the coop. I had to repeat it once more and then I didn't have a problem. This has worked for the same hen on two separate occasions about 2 months apart. She got mad, growled a few curse words at me and stalked away. No harm, no "fowl"! [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by